Stuck on a tutorial, need help learning layers

Hello all, I’ve been using the self-taught method to learn blender. so far I finished a 16 lesson donut tutorial, and a ‘how to make a realistic 3D earth model’ tutorial from blenderguru’s youtube channel. But I got into blender because I want to create and animate CGI models of spaceships.

Anyway, I found this GREAT tutorial on how to use actual blue prints on the 1960’s era 1701 Enterprise starship. It’s a 46 lesson tutorial and I’ve been able to follow along despite me using version 3.2.2 and the tutorial featuring an older version of Blender.

However, I’m stuck at the 28:00 mark when he’s teaching me to use layers. Unfortunately, due to how different my version(3.2.2) is from his I haven’t been able to figure out how to follow the instructions.

Does anybody have any advice on how I can move forward? Do I need to search youtube for ‘layer tutorials’? I’ll figure it out, but I wanted to ask about it here.

Here’s the link to the tutorial I’m talking about:

1 Like

Layers is old system to organize scene objects - their visibility and such. Now it’s replaced by collection system, which is more flexible and advanced, but it’s more complex than old layers system. Shortcut he is talking about to move object to other layer (M) now moves object to another collection. You can create collection in outliner and organize them as you wish like folders in OS. You can duplicate or move collection inside other collections, you can restrict viewport and\or render visibilty or disable them by icons right to them. So collections is more advanced system to organize objects and their visibility in your scenes.

2 Likes

Welcome to BA :slight_smile:

Honestly speaking, you’re going to continue running into issues if you follow a tutorial made for 2.79 in 3.3. Blender was overhauled completely in 2.8, it’s no longer the same software it was in 2.79.

As I see it, there’s two things you could try: download 2.79 and follow along this tutorial. 2.79 was good software, but it is radically different and out of date, so it really depends if you want to learn both 2.79 and 3.3, keeping in kind that for all intents and purposes, they’re different software.

Or, you could try to find a different tutorial that’s more up to date. This will be hard, to be honest, I think you’ll have more luck downloading 2.79

4 Likes

Well nevermind I guess. A friend of mine, who uses blender all the time explained to me that the whole layer thing was replaced by collections and he helped me understand how to do what I needed to do using collections instead of layers. So the simplified version of what I learned today regarding this is if you associate the layer system in the tutorial with the collection system in Blender 3.2.2, you can eventually figure out how to do in 3.2.2 what the guy in the video did with his older version. I’m now past that, working on the windows now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congrats on finding a solution. I know it is a bit of a pain to try to adapt the old instruction to the new systems, but your understanding of what layers do and how collections do them better is much richer now than if you just were following along with the tutorial.

You learned some problem solving skills and those are way more important than knowing how to use one feature or another that blender has to offer.

4 Likes

Thanks. That’s exactly why I’m doing the tutorial. I might be able to find a tutorial that show cases a more ‘up to date’ version of blender but you won’t find a more throrough tutorial that this 46 lesson one. I can’t afford to go to college to learn how to do 3D art and/or CAD work but there’s enough information online for me to learn it for free. I’m just doing this star trek tutorial as an exercise. What’s interesting is that the 16 lesson donut tutorial by blender guru taught me so much about blender that it’s the reason I’m able to keep up at all with this more complex enterprise tutorial. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey Bud!
I know this is old but I just wanted to say…
I am doing the same thing and in a similar situation in that traditional college and I, the traditional “adulting” road always seemed to have its exits closed for me. I can’t afford to get actual certificates but I have taken and put in the work for many many free courses and followed many tutorials. I am curious if you have found work, found employers that recognize that talent can come unconventionally? For me it is still an obstacle I, in Chicago am dealing with

1 Like