Stuck on rigify on an actual skeleton

i’ve been following this tutoral https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAhbO7U1ID8
and all is well until about 6 minute mark

my model is an actual skeleton

i set up the rig to match the mesh, selected the rig, hit ctrl-p, chose automatic weights and got the structure down in screenshot.

but when i go to pose mode, nothing works.

also, when i export as fbx and import into mixamo, it doesn’t work.

i’m totally new to rigger so i have no idea. can anyone help?

thanks

Hard to say with this display. Collapse the Pose category so I can see what is actually parented, as it is not clear from this screen shot. Being that it is a skeleton, composed of pieces, chances are they aren’t all parented to the Rig. Make a copy to play with. ‘Un-parent’ the skeleton from the rig, then Select all of the bones and join them all into one single object, then try to Parent to the rig again and see if that corrects the problem. I highly recommend Voxel Heat Diffuse Skinning as a tool on Blender Market (Blender Market). It won’t correct the problem you are having, but when I get an error in Automatic Weighting, this fixes it for me. Good luck.

ok, i worked it out, in that video, instead of using generate rig at 4:52, and deleting the metarig, just in object mode, select metarig, then shift select the character mesh, then hit ctrl-P select automatic weights and its done. then you can go to pose mode, grab a bone and rotate to test it. then export as fbx with mesh and armature selected, and you can import to mixamo and to imports fine

I don’t ever delete the Metarig, as I may need to modify it later. I just ‘hide’ it and then use the newly created rig for the parenting to the mesh, as long as they are in the same collection, it works fine. Good luck as you move along.