Stupid question probably...

How do I select multiple vertices?

I am sorry for asking but I have tried holding shift and clicking but it never selects more than one, and ocasionally moves the selected vertex slightly.

And I have tried pressing b and then dragging a box around what I want to select but this either doesnt select anything, or selects the edge between one of the vertices I want and another vertex.

I am sure I am doing something wrong but I cant think of what it is. I am using the RMB which is the selection button so I dont think thats it but I cant think of what it is…

Sorry.

Also how do I get a texture to show on a model without rendering it as even when I put the display mode as textured it still dosnt show the texture until I render it, and I need it to show textures on planes as references.

Well as for the B selection make sure your in wire mode to select verts behind other ones and also make sure your in vertex select mode and not face select.

Attachments

Sorry thats not helped.

Thanks for trying though.

I sometimes have a similar problem when I move the mouse over to the next vertex too fast. I’ve got a relatively slow system. If it’s not working at all, and it sounds like it isn’t, it might be a mouse driver problem.

If box select (b-key and drag) is selecting edges, then you’re in edge select mode. There’s a series of buttons in the 3D window header that switch from vertex to edge to face select mode.

If box select (b-key and drag) is selecting edges, then you’re in edge select mode. There’s a series of buttons in the 3D window header that switch from vertex to edge to face select mode.

Kerry17 pointed that out and in vertex mode it still happens (I am in vertex mode by defualt, but I made sure I was in it after reading her post)

Any other ideas?

Maybe I should re unzip it…

Well if none of that works then I’m with Orinoco could be a driver problem.
It could also just be a bug in blender. Have you used any earlier versions of blender, and if so did this these functions work for you in that version?
You may also want to also reinstall blender again.

First time on blender, for some reason I had been told blender has no animation capability so I didn’t really look at it until now… Whoever told me that was quite wrong lol.

I have figured out the box select thing.

For some reason blender keeps the last thing I have selected in memory and when I b and drag it selects the last thing along with what I want it to select. I have found that switching between objects in object mode generally sorts it out. (Or wvwn just unselecting everything and then selecting a single one of the vertiicies I want and then box selecting, thought this isnt guaranteed sucess…)

I think my mouse driver is okay but Im going to re-unzip blender.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Now for;

How do I get a texture to show on a model without rendering it (say when I am in edit mode) as even when I put the display mode as textured it still dosnt show the texture until I render it, and I need it to show textures on planes as references.

I suppose if you cant do that then I will just have to make sure the two reference images are the exact same size and use them as background images. I just prefer the way the PGR modelers did it, forming half a box out of planes with references on each plane and modeling to that.

I don’t use that method, preferring to use background images as references, but it is possible. I know I’ve seen threads here explaining the method. Check the site search engine for “Reference Image on Plane” or check Google. If you don’t find an answer, start a new thread, but put a more informative title on it.

[You know how to write good titles: “How do I select multiple vertices?” and “show textures on planes as references” are excellent. Just make sure they wind up in the title box where everyone can see them.]

[If reinstalling blender doesn’t fix the problem, see “Solutions to Common Problems” sticky, it’s really about install issues and not having updated drivers seems to be the source of many odd problems like yours.]

You know I think I use to be able to see my textures in textured mode but for some reason i can’t now. Then again mabe I’m just dreaming… I have to get back with you on that i need to do some looking.

I don’t use that method, preferring to use background images as references

I cant get the background images to be the same size though.

They were both 278x500 pixels but when I put them as reference images one was about 1.4-1.6 times the size of the other, even with the size option in the background image option set to the defualt of 5.

Got round it though by modeling it to the smaller ref. image and then scaling the model up to the right size for the larger one, but Im not sure if this will work well for more complex models (my first one was easy and uncomplex. A human at distances of 100m +)

You need to UV Map a texture to see it without rendering. Search for “UV mapping”.

What does uv mapping do to a texture to make it seeable without rendering? And why can I see it when I have rendered without uv mapping?