Stylized character in WIP

ok
after a long time of posting something , i decided to create an almost stylized character from scratch, after trying to sculpt thing up over the past week, i discoverer that i really suck at sculpting after 2 attempts,

so i went to box modeling !!! and created this today ,

i want some feedback on the anatomy and other parts to before going to the 2nd part which it is the body

so any feed back is welcomed

1 Like

Yep, currently doing the same for an animation assignment…

• The nose is a bit small
    -Eyes a bit too wide
  • The jaw is for a guy too small, so that the chin is too spiky
  • Directly at the eye level the scull could be a bit thinner
  • For stylized i would go with small ears
    But the character dont look bad at all great start.

first of all thanks for your time , and thank you so much !!!

first point, you mean the height or width of the nose
the character is actually a female , so on the 2nd point, should i still make the jaw wide ?

yes but be sure to make it round and the checks a bit thinner… I know the struggle is there with characters, one small change can break it or improve it. So at least test it and when you like it keep it.

ok so i made some changes on the jow and the ears

@3DArtGuy

1 Like

looks better to me, for you too? Now the nose a bit wider and it looks more female than before.

1 Like

yes i think the jaw made a tremendous change making it looks a beater

1 Like

i add more changes to the head !!!

2 Likes

Nose is still a bit too small and also work on the ears a bit. Improved it quite a lot though, now we can directly spot that it´s female.

1 Like

ok thank you so much. ill work on that !!!

so in 2 days i completed and modeled the body and add some changes to her face

i also rigged the character using my own rig

her are some of the poses i made to test the rig

feed back is welcomed :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it looks pretty good. Depends on your usecase how to give feedback. But I can try some general advice. I mostly agreed with the other poster about the size of the features, but I would caution to follow them 100% because it’s still a matter of opinion if the nose or ears are too big or not etc, maybe if everyone agrees lol. But either way, you should always work with reference. You could start with a photo of an actor or sports photos that you think look a bit like your target character, that way you can easily spot when anatomy is “off”. Since you are working a bit cartoony, you could also look at some 2D artists way of “cartoonifying” people and use that as a guide (do they make ears smaller or bigger vs reailty, for example?) there is a huge difference between a charicature and a chibi, and those traits is what makes it an “artstyle” so whatever you want to do, make sure you do it conciously for a good result. If you are making more characters in the same style, you should alter the features in a similar way relative to each other to achieve a wholeness.

2 Likes

thank you so much for the great feedback !!!
i think most of what youv said is to be true…

i actually dont work with references , because i notes-ed that every time i do it it makes me create a copy of the reference that i got inspired form

but i think i should do it in a way where i dont fully copy it

yes, by using reference i do not mean to copy the whole thing, but to look at examples of how things are done. so if you find an artist with a style you like, you can think “what makes these characters fit in this style?” and then note how the proportions differ. or if you want for example to check the proportions of human skulls, look at several images. human heads vary greatly in shape after all, and decide of what kind of shape you want to use in light of that, maybe even average some things. If your character has a personality, you could let that influence the design descisions too.

1 Like

i haven’t think of that …
your right … the character looks like another one in her personalty, thin i should find the one that i think she looks like !!!

i should try that !!

its been to long sens i worked on my stylized character,
and with all the feed back that i had … i feelt to laze to just go back to it … make some changes to the character .
so i thought of a new freshly start … and started on a new character

this time i putt all the feedback into consideration and pushed my skills

the hair is still under work … not done yet …

so feed back is much appreciated …