Sub D Head Modelling Practice

This is the first head ive felt decent enough to post, i dont know how to add good materials and textures yet hence the grey

2 Likes

How do you find Sub D modelling? Do you find it useful or a bit of a hassle, would you prefer to sculpt instead?

1 Like

Neat!

Quick skin matcap:

• beside the little circle buttons for solid viewport, eevee viewport, rendered viewport…
    there’s a little button for a drop down menu.
  • turn MatCap on
  • click the sphere icon
  • pick the skin.exr matcap (probably the 2nd last one).

You can also turn on Cavity for a little extra touch.
You can change the type to World, Screen, or Both.

Or make sure Material is turned on in this little dropdown menu,
look up skin colours for drawing,
and use one of those colours as a material.

Thanks that was very helpful

I can add basic materials and textures but nothing too fancy yet

Cool result !

I’m not very at ease with sculpting but on the overall I think it’s better.
I think subd modeling is still a thing especially if your models are simple and you want fast results over a lot of iterations and an organic way of working.

Sculpt isn’t a magic bullet either, you need a bunch of practice to be at ease with the tools.
I like that sculpt separate the creative process and the retopology.

With subd you need to manage both at the same time, which is also part of what I like, and it can be quite effective, but for sure you end up jumping back and forth between technical and creative mind which isn’t really good for the creative part of the result.

I tend to work kind of how it’s described in this video :

It’s a bit oldschool and at some point I should definitely practice more sculpt !

SubD is not dead, at least !

1 Like

Thanks, when i model from a cube im still pretty rigid and get results like the head above which still looks pretty boxy, its easy for me to get a messy mesh quickly and throw in the towel, i like the freedom of sculpting but as you say it isnt the answer for everything, practice in both and knowing when and where to use which will likely come in time

1 Like

yeah ! whatever works is already good ! Then you can get fancy and try different techniques.

Personally I kinda dig the boxy style you get !
What seems a bit off is over the mouth area, the smiling line is super strong and the mouth in itself has some part that feels kinda weird to me.

On the overall it works, since I’m not doing faces everyday I would have to do some tests to see exactly what is wrong but for sure I think that’s what make that face a bit too “boxy”.

On the overall that boxy look is interesting, unless you tried something super smooth I think it’s cool.

I don’t know where you are on your 3D journey and where you want to go, but at some point , this book helped me a lot to understand how a face function : https://www.amazon.fr/Stop-Staring-Facial-Modeling-Animation/dp/0470609907

It’s mainly about rigging faces ( and based on maya) so not exactly a beginner’s book, but there are tons of theory and it explains quite well how to do some modeling too.

Maybe not for today right now, but if at some point you want to broaden your knowledge on faces in general this is really a great resource !

Good luck and have fun !

Brilliant thanks for the input, I’m very early on in blender and creating in general and thanks for the pointer to the book I really appreciate it