Sub-Zero portrait

A Sub-Zero portrait inspired by the old school design of the early video games. Rendered in Cycles. Among the modelling tools within blender used are by-gen and fluent, which don’t do anything you couldn’t achieve in base blender but really let you toy around with concepts faster so they are great for conceptualizing.

Instagram: @ozren_cg

11 Likes

Always up for suggestions and comments :slight_smile:

Looks really well done and interesting, different from I imagined it with this self-crocheted look.
I remember myself as a kid wondering what the purpose of this mask was, especially with this strange breathing grid. Is if for concealment of the face? Face protection like a helmet, but only for the mouth? Simply intimidation? Does he (along with the other “Ninjas”) have some respiration problem and needs this mask?
What did you have in mind with it?

1 Like

Well, that exactly is the thing. I always saw the masks as a no purpose thing that for me as a kid, just added to the coolness factor. But that worked in the old pixelated videogames so when I tried to do a realistic reimagining I kinda went with this pattern because I wanted it to look homemade. If this person had the skills of an average cosplayer, this is what I imagined he could make for himself. And I really wanted this to be a portrait so it can’t be seen, but the blue straps that all the ninjas in MK have connected to the belt, they are also modeled in a similar fashion - the material looks very close to the meshy synthetic material that most backpacks have.

2 Likes

One answer with some credibility is that he hates seeing his own face because of guilt:

1 Like

I would tell you to “FINISH HIM!”, but he’s not a WIP.

It’s too bad too, I know a nasty fatality move to use on him…

2 Likes

Interesting idea, though he does not seem all too guilt-ridden in the trailer mentioned there, quite the opposite. But that might have changed after the trailer… :wink:

2 Likes

I like that idea tbh, gives a lot of depth to play with out of something that is essentially a ‘‘people beat each other’’ story. Also did go for a more sombre expression so the backstory fits the render.

1 Like

Damn, we missed an opportunity for a great pun :slight_smile:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Oh, thank you so much :slight_smile: