Subdivision that preserves original vertices

I just saw this talk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AR9-LxY6AQ

and it seemed like such a good idea I was wondering why it didn’t already exist. Reading about the current catmull-clarke algorithm it seems that the last step projects the original vertices towards the new ones and perhaps instead the new vertices could be projected outwards.

Is this man’s new algorithm going to be included in blender? Does anyone here know any more about it?

2 Likes

Yes it was interesting, he says at the end that of the talk that his work is not yet released and will be in a couple of weeks on github and the Blender kit site. So stay tuned to the Blender Kit site to see when it appears.

Edge-subdivide with maximum smoothness?

1 Like

Surprised that that tool doesn’t already exist.

Grats, Vilém!

1 Like

this! this is what I imagine ‘inverse subdivision’ is.

Continuing my shower thoughts, wouldn’t a system that attempts to match the original and subdivision vertices end up overshooting at corners?

1 Like

We will have to wait to see if it is good, the bit I liked is “add edge loops without ruining the curve.”

I am a little skeptical though, because I think in some cases it is nearly impossible (when edge loops get close).

Playing with the smoothness factor when you add the loop does do this to a certain extent but is not “automatic”.

1 Like