Substance painter is painting through the mesh. Can I stop this?

I made a dog in Blender and now want to paint it before rigging. I created different materials (colors) in Blender so that I could isolate parts in Substance painter 2023 and be able to paint the inside of the mouth (the gums, teeth, etc). I also made the ears separate as they are large and would be hard to paint the underside.

In Substance, when I brush near the seam of the body and the ear, if the brush stroke goes over into the ear ( I have the Body selected in the Texture Sets ) the brush will paint through the ear hole and onto the body mesh on the opposite side. Being relatively new to Substance Painter I have not been able to find a setting to stop this from happening.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Change the alignment to camera and enable backface culling.

3 Likes

Thanks Debuk. I played with those settings but never came across this combination. It seems to work. Brought me over a huge hurdle. I sent you a private message also.

Thanks again

Hey can I ask what you mean by “change the alignment to camera” ?
I’ve googled around and havent found any setting for camera alignment, unsure if this is a valid question.

Figured I would ask you the same question, in case you also had the answer!

Its a brush property in the first tab.

alignment

1 Like

Sorry New Jersey. I haven’t used Substance in so long I cannot remember!

1 Like

Thank you so much, you two have been such a big help!

1 Like

Totally okay! Luckily Debuk remembered, thank you for making the question!

how do you get backface culling to work with polygon fill tool?

Just click it, dont drag. The drag still doesnt support it, or drag in the 2d window.