Suggestions for new ArchViz computer

Hi Folks:

I am hoping to pick up some freelance ArchViz work, and would REALLY like to get out of my CoreI3 Desktop. A couple of notes:

1. I am not doing large amounts of renders on this machine – anything other than quick test renders - go off to sheep it for rendering
  2. I will be doing fairly large .blend files, with 4k to 8k textures
  3. I work in cycles, and in UE4, I do not use EEVEE as it is a waste of time
  4. I would like big memory (probably 32 -64 gigs
  5. I’d like a 256gb to 500gb SSD for boot and software
  6. Data storage would be on a 2 - 3 TB hdd
  7. I need a minimum of 3 screen outputs, 4 would be preferable

I realize that there are really high end graphics cards and processors out there, but really I dont need them, nor can I afford them. Id really like to keep this to around 1000USD.

Thanks
TIM

Hello,

Only the memory is around 280$ (64 Gb) + 120$ 500 Gb ssd and 2 Tb HDD so already you have almost half of the amount you want to spend.

So in order to stay in that range you need to spend 600$ on the case, power supply unit, motherboard, cpu, graphics card, 3 - 4 monitors and perhaps others like (mouse, keyboard, speakers, if you want them new).

I’d say it’s a tight budget, it can be done but you’ll need to get kinda weak cpu and graphics card…

… or look for a used workstation.

What kind of a workstation would you be looking for?? (Specs?)

Yes you can, of course but i wouldn’t buy an used one.
Because you don`t know how it was handled by the previous owner and this is even worse if it has no warranty left, especially, on the graphics card and cpu.
This is my opinion, of course.

You can get a decent computer for 1000 dollars. I wuld pick an online computer store who has a configurator and play with different parts till you are satisfied.
This is just a suggestion for a 1000 EUR build…

ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 (90-MXB8F0-A0UAYZ) 88,35 €
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G, 4x 3.60GHz, BOX (YD3200C5FHBOX) |109,04 €
G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4-3000 (F4-3000C16Q-64GTZN) 410,90 €|
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6G, 6GB GDDR5 (GV-N1660OC-6GD) |254,50 €|
Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 3,5 SATA3 6GB/s 256MB 7200(ST2000DM008) |62,60 €|
[ThermalTake Versa H22 ] 35,93 €

PRICE: 1.004,47 €

Ah, missed the fact you’re in the states.

Here, in EU any official business trading, re-selling vehicles (cars, bikes) & PCs, must abide to standard - 2 years for New & 1/2 a year for Used item - no shady biz. Works fine in practice, cuz there’s more trust and ppl do buy more often used stuff keeping the industry working well with less impact on the environment. Consumers are aware here. Also not everyone needs the latest and greatest while taking care of the product shows that it works fine and can last much longer than just for the period of warranty.

Another thing is, re-sellers in EU basically buy batches, whole lots which are “amortized” (from banks, government, public offices… big fish) and then distribute within the union’s private sector.

Got my previous Lenovo D20 station in 2015 for dirt cheap, simply added 2x GPUs and loads of disk space. Machine still works fine and case, PSU, disks… will also serve as a base for the next stage.

It’s a viable alternative.

@Taholmes160
Didn’t check the latest, but when I’m looking for a new one I always research - check the usual suspects…