Summer Evening Picnic

I was out on a picnic with my family in the woods the other day, it was a beatiful late afternoon and the forest was beautiful. That same evening I fired up Blender and thought that it might be a good exercise to try and recreate the feeling in 3D. It took about eight days worth of evenings to finally get everything together. I had to fight with glass shaders and foam a lot, even though te foam is barely visible. The blanket also complicated things as I had to sculpt on it every time I put down a new object on top of it (or moved one of them)… Well, I hope you like it.

Main render

Details 1

Details 2

16 Likes

Nice renders! And what a nice day! Reminds me of the many sanctuaries and national parks I’ve been to. The soft sunlight and barely visible blue sky really gives a lot.
The cloth you did by hand is great! Making sure there is no objects going through but barely touching the cloth must’ve been tedious. But it really makes it feel real. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for your kinds words, and thanks for taking the time to comment, it really means a lot since I’m kind of a beginner still.

Yes. That… was very tedious. Especially since I used the cloth brush a lot, when you pull one area down, the area next to it follows a bit to keep the mass of the cloth. Sometimes that made other objects float a bit. Haha. If it were’t for the blanket, I would proably change some things. But it turned out good in the end :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a lovely scene. If I didn’t already go out into the woods nearly every day, this would definitely get me into the mood.

And I feel you about the cloth – I am struggling with a similar situation.

Thank you, means a lot. The render turned out well in the end. I had a previous version posted on both artstation and here, and that one looked really off. So I spent another couple hours on it, and now I think I captured the mood correctly.

What are you working on now?

1 Like

A scene with a basket, a bunch of apples, a knife, a plate – and burlap cloth. A lot fewer elements than your scene, fortunately.

Cool. Please let me know when it’s finished :slight_smile:

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

Thank you again. It really boosts my confidence to be featured there. Only three months into my Blender journey, I just want to create more and better, project by project :slight_smile:

2 Likes