Summer Evening

Hi all,

Here’s my newest art work. I started this project as a way tp learn Scatter V and Octane Render. It was a very rewarding experience (and respective communities at the Scatter discord and Octane render forums were very helpful!)

I used a painting by Ian Roberts as a starting point for the composition. I’m not very happy, especially with some of the grass and tree models I chose (or perhaps I’m just using them wrongly?!). Most of the assets are Graswald and Megascans. The trees are from Maxtree. I now feel I could have chosen a tree that’s more… bushy?

Inspiration:

So here is it! I really appreciate any comments on how I can improve this, which I will use on my next render!

Regards,
Tim

50 Likes

Nice! The lighting in the background is way better than your previous version :+1:

1 Like

Excellent work, it looks real!

1 Like

I agree with the above, the lighting and positions and your composition are all spot on, Very Nice…

With a direct comparison with the concept, the muted tones could be an idea to pursue, for instance, what would happen if you mixed your final render with your clay render in the compositor to Mute some of the sharpness and colors of your final render?

1 Like

Thank you! It’s something I want to try. The very concept of it is new to me and I want to see what the results would look like.

My initial plan was to go for something muted, but the direction somehow changed and the colors became more vibrant and contrasty :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great work, I love this light!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you, Bart!

This is great work. I actually prefer the version with the darker background as I think it makes the foreground tree pop a bit more and I also like the ambiguity of darker space.

1 Like

Thank you!

That’s my issue with this image. I couldn’t get the tree to stand out because of the brighter background. Still happy I was able to bring it to this point, haha!

Very nice! Since Ian Roberts usually paints from photographs, I can easily imagine this render as the “photo” the painting might be based on. :wink:

1 Like

Love the juicy colours.

1 Like

very nice work… looks like a pic of a real field :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

I like it a lot. To make the tree more bushy you could cheat by simply duplicating and rotating it. For a still image you might get away with it.

1 Like

the only thing that makes this image look unnatural is the shape of the leaves on the tree in the middle.

1 Like

This looks amazing, I was wondering if you mind telling me how you created the grass or what models you used as I am very interested in enviromental design/art. Love your work alot keep it up.

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Thank you! The ground cover vegetation are from Grasswald and Megascans. You should check them out. While some of the megascans models are not as detailed, Grasswald always delivers :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Here is the “Behind the Scenes” article for this captivating artwork!

Do check out this article, written by the artist himself. It describes the process of making the artwork step by step and provides insight into achieving realistic lighting and coloring in Blender.

Regards,
Alina Khan
Editor at Blender Nation | LinkedIn

3 Likes