Summer Jobs / Internships?

So summer is coming around the corner, and I am going to get a summer job. I don’t know if it will be part or full time, but I would love to get one that involves Blender or at least CG.

Do you think there are even CG internships? Most jobs that I see need 3+ years of experience, which I don’t quite have.

Perhaps there is another way to make decent money with Blender on my spare time? That would be just as good.

Also on this subject of learning, what collages would you suggest for CG related fields? Private vs. Public? I have not decided whether I want to pursue game art or VFX yet, so any collage that teaches 3D would be good suggestions.

Mostly I just want to make money with Blender, because it would be great “real life” experience. And I want to make good decisions, so I figure if you have experience, you might be able to help me out with ideas.

Really, no thoughts on earning even small change with blender? Or even art education? I probably should have asked a CG Society, most of you are probably hobbyists.

Hey Jonathan L,

There are lots of CG internships; you just need to know where to look and most of all keep your eyes and ears open. A lot of studios do internships but often don’t heavily publicize it.

Where about in the world are you based? Most internships will be done in person and so that can affect where you look.

You need to get some kind of resume together and then just submit it to all the studios you can find in your area. Many places don’t advertise intern positions so you have to go looking for them. I suspect that most studios don’t use Blender in their main pipeline so be willing to learn another program.

My company has done internships in the past and we’re likely to do them again in the future. But these are on-site internships, so you need to live near our studio.

you just need to know where to look and most of all keep your eyes and ears open. A lot of studios do internships but often don’t heavily publicize it.

Ah, well I live in the PNW of the United States, so I’m sure that I can find something, but I looked and found nothing on Craigslist. How do I find a studio near me? They seem like they would rent out space somewhere inconspicuous, so how would I search them out? Thanks for all the help!

I suspect that most studios don’t use Blender in their main pipeline so be willing to learn another program.

I tried to learn 3ds max and Maya, but my current computer cant handle them, so I’ve got to wait a couple months before I can upgrade. But yea, my goal is to learn these three and things like real flow.

Thanks again!

Fellow pacific northwest CG student here:

Nobody posts anything on craigslist. :stuck_out_tongue: Personally, I found the internship I’m doing through a professor (I go to washington state’s vancouver campus). The company had initially approached our department to find them some interns. Which is basically how places find interns, they just ask schools or people they know for them. This is actually the biggest advantage of going to school for this sort of thing, it’s the connections you make. Wherever you decide to go to school, get to know your professors. If your skills impress them, their connections effectively become your connections to. School projects can also be good portfolio pieces, which can help you get something to show your own work. Also, put this link in your sig on every CG-related forum you post in (assuming they permit it).

…which brings me to the point of your portfolio. Make one. Now. Like, go open a new tab and get cracking as you read this. Nobody is hiring you for anything without one, they want to see examples of what you can do, they don’t care necessarily that your resume mentions your great interpersonal skills and knowledge of blender or anything else. It doesn’t need to be anything fancy, you can just go to wordpress.com or something and blog of your projects. You just want a URL you can put on your resume that people can go to and see a bunch of your finished works.