SUMO Wrestler

Hi,
This is my first post with a Blender WIP of a Sumo wrestler. It was started as many
other Blender models which I never be able to complete. This time however, I decided to
go a step further and show a WIP result. I am aware that still there is a lot of work to do.
Maybe, this model could evolve in something else (I was thinking at a scene of a
Japanese old man seated on a plastic stool and washing himself in a public bathroom).

I hope you like it

Attachments

dude it looks like a baby,make him a little bigger,the body should be bigger than the head and give him that how do the call it,the little hair on the back of the head.

Thank you for your hints. I am working to correct both and adding further details.

Just a little update.

Attachments

He has no package! seriously though, it looks rather nice, I haven’t watched a lot of sumo wrestling, but the cloth doesn’t look right to me.

with these wrestlers you probably will never see his belt in the front :wink:
do you wanna have him sitting or standing like their well known pose?
lift his fat ass for the second :stuck_out_tongue:

nice idea. hope you’ll get it look awesome :d

In the front part of the loin cloth there is usually something hung, like a veil, or strings, both, something like that…

thank you to everyone for your comments.

I am working now on the wrestler loin cloth. Rear ribbon is the most difficult part to model. Maybe, I will be able to make it with the help of a curve modifier applied to a long flat plane.

I am also going to adjust the front part and adding the strings hanging from the belt. As for the veil, it is only used during the wrestler parade at the begining of a sumo tournment , obviously not during the fightings. Therefore, I have decided not adding it at this time.

I will post an update as soon as possible.

Another little update. This time, I added belt strings on front, increased the “volume” of the lower frontal part and added a belt knot on the backside.

As for the knot, I gave up using curve modifier for modelling, since I realized that it was too difficult controlling the direction of the curve. Instead, I started with a cube, I divided it into five or six sections and, then, I did a manual adjustment of each single vertice, which seems to be more precise although it takes longer.

In the next step, I am going to modify the shape of mouth adding the teeth, and adding nails on fingers and toes (maybe increasing the number of fingers and toes on each hand and foot).

Attachments

Hi all.
This is another WIP of my Sumo wrestler. Bigger update is hair. Other changes include adding the fifth finger, mouth & teeth, body proportion and posture.

Combing hair in order to achieve a decent hairstyle was not easy. The new particles system is great, but it would be nice if one could see the final result not only in object mode but also in edit mode, in order to avoid continuous toggling between these two modes while working.

Moreover, since I couldn’t get the result I wanted with an entire mesh, after many tests, at last, I gave up and splitted the entire hair in three sections (top-back, sidewhisker, tail) in order to create the right half hair. Then, I mirrored the three meshes to get the left half hair. Obviously, editing smaller and almost plane surfaces like these is far easier, even though now I have six meshes that form the entire hair.

Next step (if there isn’t any other details to correct in the meanwhile) is adding some textures on the body and on the belt, and some other accessory.

Attachments