Sun Rise and Down

I want to achieve good sun behaviour, i dont want to just have a still hdri, or the sad round dist of nishita sky shader in my renders, i want to achieve a dynamic sun with all the typical effect:

• omega sunsets
  • mock sunsets
  • flattened sun

example:

my first try: 0001-0250.mkv (151.6 KB)

the blendfile: sunFirst.blend (1.1 MB)

i already tried some of the obvious stuff, namely putting everything into a glasscube have its IoR change on a gradient in Z directions and blast some noise, but i dont think thats a good or final solution to this problem. therefore i opened this topic to see what everyone else is doing for their suns.

oh also a scientific paper about it that i dont understand: https://redirect.cs.umbc.edu/~olano/papers/theses/Zhang2015.pdf

Gran Turismo 7 developer, Polyphony Digital, released a document about how they created realistic skies for the game. There’s a lot of technical information that may help you to achieve your sun setup. I think that your scene is very good, but I believe that the best approach is to have reference images and compositing techniques. For example, in this case the sun is just an empty white circle.

2 Likes