Surface Deform

Hello

how do I do it?
is there a tutorial?

thanks

By default, the deformer plane should be flat. If it isnt, flatten it and keep original shape as Shape Key. You bind the deforming object (like this torus on the picture) to its initial state using Surface Deform, and then activate a shape key on the plane, or warp it by any other means The target object should follow.

P.S. If Surface Deform stops binding process with an error, triangulate the deformer’s polygons. The modifier cant work with concave faces, and faces with more than 4 edges often become concave

Thank you for your help

but I didn’t understand very well
is there a tutorial?

is it possible to deform a box in the normal of a sphere?

I am not sure about the tutorial, check Youtube. About your second question, yes it is possible, but you will need preparation stages like setting up shape keys on your deformer object
https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/animation/shape_keys/introduction.html
Surface Deform is made for driving the animated deformation of one object by other object. So, if you just take your box and bind it to the sphere, initially nothing will happen. Only if you deform the sphere, changes will reflect on a box.

I’ve made you an illustration.

The hemisphere on the left is the initial (“bind”) shape of the deformer. The sphere is the shape key it had to morph into for the effect to work

1 Like

(of course, it isnt limited to animation. For static object, you just Apply the modifier in the state you need)

is there a way to do it any other way?
another modifier ? addon ?

the deformation may be static.
to use only in modeling.

There is Shrinkwrap modifier, which squashes one object on the surface of another. Though it wont preserve the volume of the deformed object, so not exactly useful in your case

Could you teach me step-by-step how to use Surface Deform modifier ?
so far I haven’t been able to use it.

Check out Bezier Mesh Shaper.

1. Create both your “deformer” and “target” objects. For better results, triangulate the faces of the deformer object. Also, both objects are better to have enough subdivisions to support convincing deformation.
    2)Add Surface Deform on the target object. In the modifier’s Target field, specify the deformer. Press Bind
    3)If the binding is successful, any change of shape of the deformer (such as moving vertices in Edit mode, changing Shape Keys influence or effect of other modifiers) will also alter the target object

It worked

but the modifier doesn’t work well with complex surfaces, right?

if anyone knows of an addon , I appreciate the help

How complex is the surface you’re speaking of?

a human head

Ah. Well, if you do not have too many objects to stick on this head, shape key workflow may work. Flatten the area of the head where object is supposed to attach, and create shape key of original head shape. Then bind your object using Surface Deform

I found something
I believe it works

Give the torus cloth sim and pin it to the deforming plane.

Or see the image below

1.Extrude a curve to make the deforming plane and convert it to mesh
2.Knife-project a circle onto it
3.Separate the circle egdes by selection with P
4.Convert separated circle edges to curve and
5.Use Bezier circle as bevel object.

Fix topology if necessary.