Surface Strips [WIP modifier]

OK, @Fatesailor I decided to start a new thread. Might not be the best category ,but I think I made enough progress to eventually release as a addon.

Strip objects

Sharp corners

Rounded corners

Clean intersection

Random test

!

3 Likes

Separating parts for selecting and extruding

After extruding and whatnot

8 Likes

It looks nice! The final meshes seem to be very dense though, something that can result in having too much memory consuming objects in the case of complex scenes. But anyway, get the add-on ready so that we may download it and test it. Maybe there can be found a solution to the heavy meshes issue also.

Btw, It will be needed a short video too, showing its way of use. So, keep in mind to make such a video when you will be ready to upload it.

@AFWS
Looks interesting.
I understand correctly that at the moment it is impossible to make a strip more than the geometry allows?
Also a little experimented:

1 Like

Still using BAB to do this? What happens if you used one plane intersecting a cylinder as the “strip” objects. What I’ve seen so far is straight through cuts.

No it’s not BAB.
Do you mean this ?

OK, been doing some tweaking and finally adding operator settings. The latest thing I add is one click part separation.

6 Likes

This is wild. I’m excited to see how this shapes up!

1 Like

A very good work.

1 Like

Yeah, in that example it’s a dense mesh. You can get it to work with a mesh not as dense, but the more the strip has to connect to, the better the results are.

I got really slow internet and a 1 minute video takes like around 30 minutes to upload. I might could do some really quick short videos of each step. This will be fairly simple to use.

1 Like

It is necessary to do a video showing step by step how your add-on works. If your internet connection is slow you can prepare the video in your computer and then upload it through some friend’s internet connection. Having good tutorials are essential on showing how the new tools work.

Also, as far as it is evident from your screenshots the strips produced are always parallel to the mesh lines… is it not possible to produce strips which intersect meshes’ lines (as is the case in the screenshots of Ilya)?

Not sure I understand your question. Look at the “Clean intersection” picture on the first post. See if this answers your question any? That example used a cylinder and a plane intersecting for the strips, like the video you posted on BAB. I can post a blend file with more example objects if needed?

Can you produce strips on edges as are the selected ones in the object below? That’s what do I mean by saying ‘strips intersecting an object’s mesh lines’.

This strips will be created on the “Cut Guides” ,which it what you have selected in the picture. Not on existing lines on your capsule. Does this answer your question?

There’s some artifacts on the strips here ,but maybe this answers your question.

The needed thing is to be able to make extrusions which can be bevelled in a proper way based on such lines (as guide lines). This is what I did mean.

Yes, your latest images show what do I mean.

If you produce some strips as the ones I did show in my image on an object, extrude bevel them and then render the object, so that we may see the consistency matters regarding the whole object’s final look (the normals etc), then we will be able to say a decisive word.

Here’s a example blend. I think I found a bug. The vertex group has the strip selected ,but it selects more than the strip. You can reselect it if needed by selecting a face and doing select linked with “Sharp” option selected.

blend for 2.8

strips_3.blend (3.3 MB)

I did inspect it. It is ok. There are some very small inconsistencies in some areas of the strips’ thickness (on the areas where the two strips intersect) but I do not think that they are difficult to overcome. I extruded the strip and its result is flawless.

I think that you are on the right track. Go on! It can be a very useful add-on! :slightly_smiling_face:

The inconsistencies is one thing I have been trying to solve.

Good to see you think I’m on the right track. Been putting a lot of time on this the last few days.

2 Likes

Been working on boolean strips.

3 Likes