SWAP out on Indievania and Desura!

ya the e key is used right now for an experiemental hud/map/info thing that swings infront of the player but ya ill probaly switch it to e and the hud to q or something and the walls thanks for telling me i cause i forgot to fix them.

And sry i did not make it myself :frowning: haha

what do yo mean the revelation of ths behindscape ?

thanks for your feedback this helped alot and now that i know it works ok ill start on the next level

oh and did the game run smooth for you? im hoping for it to beable to run on the lowest powered machines that atleast support glsl

revelation of ths Hindscape: When the Door opens and the Player can see what is beyond. :wink:

It ran smooth, merely the Controls felt a Bit unsmooth – I was at Times not so sure whether it was the Movement itself or the Framerate, but I think it was the Movement itself.

O ok so how would i smooth the controlls?

I don’t know at the Moment – I always have the best Results when using Velocity. However, maybe it was only my first Impression at Startup – don’t bother as long as there is not a Bunch of People mourning about it, I maybe just got it wrong. :wink:

Bedies, I find it a very irritatic Beginning to stand on that Bank with the head at the Ceiling.

And while Ingenuity is a nice Word, you should stay with SWAP – it is far easier to pronounce and easier to remember.

ya for somereason it allways points the camera up when you first start out for some reason not just with this game but anytime i use the mouse look script.

So ya i guess i jumped the gun to soon saying that the level was complete

list of things to change

t to e key CHANGED

Q key togles info hud CHANGED

start laying in bed with eyes closed and a first person animation of getting up and your hud/cursor/retical whatever comes up

wall collision FIXED

texture on the switch lever

Ô, you mean that typical Mousedrift? No no, that one never occured when i played this Executable.

Ô, and I forgot: The Jump really doesn’t feel like Jumping. Just tweak it a Bit.

ya how it looks up at the cieling the minute you start but i think i fixed it i have a animation that plays

ok ill work on the jumping thanks

i know this a far fetched question, but do you think it looks as good as like portal?

bump sry i think this got lost

Not yet: When you go close to a Wall in Portal, a very simple Detail Maps becomes visible. (On the other hand I don’t even think that the white Walls in Portal have Normalmaps… I might make a Mistake on that Point, however.)
About other Things it is hard to judge, for Portal has only a few Models that actually give it some Visuals: The Portal Gun, the Turrets, the Cubes. And those are, as well, so minimalistic that it is hard to compare technical Quality between both Games, also because the Styles are very different. It just doesn’t look exactly like Portal and therefore it is harder to judge.

hmm ok well thanks oh and ive updated the first level a tone right now im working a pretty epic intro type thing.

So i posted a link of what i thought was going to be the finished version of the first level but endid up refining it much more and and it looks alot better including a opening intro type thing so now that the first level is finished im starting on the second and hope to atleast yet 1 level a week done maybe 2 so by this pace ill have the game done pretty much in about 140 days if i do 2 a week.

so i kinda revamped the way i do the levels instead of have rooms inwitch you progress threw much like portal and the new indie game Q.U.B.E so i made the levels kinda open and floating like i guess.

Attachments

Looks clean and crisp. Nice. Well-done.

It definitely adds to the abstract Minimalism. Do you intend to keep the white Background or do you plan on something more visual for it?

Ô, I just imagined coming out of the little Room that you had posted and stepping out into this bizarr Scenario.

thanks guys im glad to here this because i was worried it was idk to odd but also i did change the level that i posted its alot different now it just works better and also ya i also was thinking that walking out of the room and into a big weird thing like this.

EDIT sry i forgot um ya im thinking about have some sort of animated background instead of just white like streaks or something moving but with out taking up to much cpu power any ideas?

So once again i decided to switch the design of the game somewhat and now i went back to individual tiles each with there own normal map this makes it so the whole entire level is swap able meaning that each tile can be swapped through out out each whole level.

the frame rate had dropped to 30 to 45 but i think this is a good trade off.

screen shots below but first i had a question about what to use as a gun or controller you might say because portal has the portal gun and i like that but i don’t want to copy portal so i was thinking of some sort of brain wave type controller thing that is like a head set but it just doesn’t look good or feel right so my question was what to do with this what type of controller type thing should i use?

Attachments

sry the images are reduced to bad quality when uploaded.

I like that glowing Effect on the second Screenshot. You could add more Glows and Lights here and there in Order to add some Eyecandy.
However, it also could end up looking like Tron, probably wouldn’t be your Intention. :stuck_out_tongue:

Even though the Framerate Decrease is a Shame, the Possibility to swap the whole Level will probably be quite an Advantage. I guess if you keep your Rooms small but colmplex (having small Corridors and such) you could benefit from Occluders.

Concerning the Device, you might as well just go with the Brainwave Headset and simply not show it ingame. I mean, can you see Gordon Freeman’s Glasses? Can you see his Beard? Just make the Device not visible, break it down to such Simplicity.

ya but i want the player to have something in there hand or see something.