SWAP out on Indievania and Desura!

Well, if you want the Player to see something in their Hand… then start out with a Hand.^^
It could be some Sort of a Glove, a Gauntlet, with several Functions on its Fingertips, like the Power of Swapping.

Hello, here an example of a puzzle game named qubealready use gloves to move cubes.

Well to see more what will be good, have you a background or something like that ?

ya i actually just finished playing Q.U.B.E a couple days ago and loved it so ya the gloves thing wouldnt work also what do you mean by background?

I mean the univers of your game, who is the hero ? why ? etc ?

well i don’t want to spoil the story to much so i just tell you the basic overlaying part of it :slight_smile:

Ok so it starts out in the mid evil times around the time of king Arthur and you are a baby maybe 6 weeks old lying face up in a crib in first person view kinda looking around and dosing off when you hear a loud noise and you start crying then a few seconds layer a piece of the ceiling falls down as if a perfect part of it was cut out then there is this mist beam type thing comes in and starts pulling you threw it and up you go as you see the whole village below you as you rise up and start to see something but im not going to say what that is but just so you know its not a space ship or a planet :slight_smile:

and its hard to explain this next part with out giving anything away unless i all ready have but

basically some “things” have seen the future and see that in 2050 the entire human race will be destroyed because of a massive advanced or enhanced nuclear war so that are trying to help the humans devert the disaster in the future by training a “human” to be a highly advanced super soldier slash agent type thing but who doesn’t use any weapons. But what i have explained here is the surface of the story i guess you could say and its not easy or perfect as it might seam. :slight_smile:

also i have made a voice that speaks to you to instruct you what to do but not in the way like glados thow
does this make it seam to much like portal? its a british female voice with an echo and sorta high pitch sound.

medieval.
Except it was a Word Play. :wink:

So if he shan’t use any Weapons, then he should not use any Device at all. I mean, imagine you would carry a Portal Gun, in Reallife, you easily could use it as a Melee Weapon at Least. I don’t see why you want anything to be seen, that is only reasonable in a First Person Shooter. If it was an First Person Adventure Game (and as a Puzzle Game it comes pretty close) like the Myst Series, then there would be no Need for a Device in Hand – in Myst you don’t have any such, for Example.
Besides, sorry for the Gauntlet Suggestion, i have never played Qube and didn’t know about that Detail.

And we cannot tell you if the British Female Voice with its high pitched Echo sounds too GLaDOS, or the Concept in General. It could as well remind of System Shock’s Shodan, and if it was an extra-dull but likable Male Voice, it would sound like HAL9000. But we cannot tell you anyway, as we only have that Description in which you even claim it to be »not in the way like glados«. That is all we know, so yet we cannot judge.

well i just ment does having a voice in general seam like its copying portal?
so dont so anything just have the retical or pointer? and the game is first person?

As I already had said (even earlier, if I remember correctly), Computer Voices have been before GLaDOS, you even could call GLaDOS a humoristic SystemShock Ripoff. But if you keep on doubting the Decision in the first Place, then why using an Off-Computer-Voice in the first Place? ( ;p )
You could also use an »Alien Voice«.

so dont so anything just have the retical or pointer? and the game is first person?

I did not really understand the Question? The Myst Games? All you see there is the Cursor (Game 4 and 5 have a Cursor in the Shape of a Hand). And they are First Person: Since Game 3 you get Free View and therefore the Cursor is more a Retical most of the Time.

ok well ill keep the voice then here is what it sounds like.

this is somewhere in the middle of the whole voice on the first level.

It is one of those Text-to-Speech Voices, right? I find it vêêêry distracting that for Example »BASics« is emphasized so strongly while the Word »swapped« absolutely drowns and can not even be understood if the Context is not known.

Though now I have to admit, it sounds vêêêry GLaDified.
You know what ~I~ would suggest? I would record myself and chase my Voice through one or two Vocoders (Autotuners like the Kerovee Plugin). It will give you more Freedom, more Control, and eventually the Voice might not even sound human anymore.

ok so besides the glados sounding and the emphases on the wrong words does it sound bad is it that easy to tell its a text to speech program?

i dont have a good mic and a quite place to record is the only problem.

Yes, it sounds very much like a Text-to-Speech Tool, very unpersonal.
You do not necessarily need a good Microphone since the Result shall sound distorted and digitalized anyway. Concerning the quiet Place, just wait for the right Moments when you’re on your own in your Room with Door and Window closed and find the Place with the best Acoustics – again, having the best Acoustics is not important if you distort the Voice anyway. (Of Course, it could be better, but it is at Least something.) Afterwards, load a Plugin like Kerovee into your Music Tool…

… like I did on this (sung and played by a Friend, I just put the Effects over it):
[video]http://youtu.be/3bAU6w5ue1I[/video]
… well, of Course this is an extra GLaDOS-like Example.

first of all that the link you sent me was cool! but i think if like the style of the voice to text sound it gives it character and if you think about it the “things” are speaking in a alien voice and each word is getting translated to a human voice so it makes sense i think.

here are some more samples

there are three on this page

thank you for the precision mrn, if the character does not use weapons or other objects, like Caligari I do not think it is useful to show something.
If there really is physical interaction between the character and his envirronnement his hands could be seen without make gloves, realistic camera movements can also improved immersion as can be seen in some more or less recent fps (my reference on this point is mirror’s edge).

ya i was thinking of doing smooth camera movement but i was wondering if with low frame rate it would stagger.

Well it depend of what you think when you write low frame rate, is it really too low ?

well on level three it is around 20 to 30 but it is a complex level the rest of the levels are pretty simple and the framerate is around 35 to 45 sometimes higher.

I have a very, very bizarr Idea.
You will probably not consider attempting it as it is too strange and even might give imprecise Results.

But since you are using separate Tiles now, all of them are Planes: 2 Triangles. You could instead make just one Triangle and put an Alphamap in Shape of a Square over it, just in Size it fits onto the Triangle as a whole Square, and make the Material Clip Alpha.
This Way, your Tiles would consist of just one Triangle and you could get through with only half the Polycount that you have now!

I would give it a Try if I was you.

well right now each tile is just a 3x3 plane with only one face is that what you mean?

No, a Plane can impossibly have one Face! Select you Plane, press [Ctrl+T] and you will see the bitter Truth: It consists of 2 Triangles. No Matter what it looks like in Blender, this is what the Game Engine works with, that the Plane consists of two Triangles.
Imagine fitting one Square onto a Triangle instead (texture-wise only) – ~then~ you would have just 1 Face = 1 Triangle. :}