Swingy Bone Physics: An easy-to-use, artist friendly bone chain physics solver.

Hello Blender community!

As I was watching several technical presentations from big Japanese studios (Square Enix, Capcom, Bandai Namco etc), I noticed that bone chain physics simulation using simple collision volumes was used in a lot of their productions for hair, accessories, cloth etc.
I couldn’t find an equivalent solution for Blender that had everything I needed so I thought it could be useful to make an addon for this! The main goal was to provide a solution with great user experience, readability and artistic control.

SwingyBonePhysicsIntro

Features Highlight:
-One-click process to create simulated bone chains.
-Several parameters to adjust the physics behaviour.
-Curve editor for easier tuning.
-Visual helpers in the 3D viewport for a faster workflow.
-Bone tied collision volumes to collide with the chains.
-Angle limit constraints.
-Wind simulation.
-Simulation baking to keyframes.

For more details, you can refer to the wiki: https://swingy-bone-physics.github.io/wiki/

Download links:
The Blender market and Gumroad download links can be found in the description of the above video, as I’m currently limited to two external links per post due to being a new user.

If you have any question please let me know!

11 Likes

Nice! I added your Blender Market link :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Joseph, much appreciated!

Version 1.1 is now available!

This adds some heavily requested features:
-inter-armature collision (chains and colliders from different armatures will now interact)
-object mode motion being taken into account during the simulation
Several bugs have also been fixed.

This update is of course available for free if you already purchased the first version, please refer to the update instructions here if you did https://swingy-bone-physics.github.io/wiki/changelog/#version-11

I have more exciting features planned, if you have some questions/requests please let me know! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Version 1.2 is now available!

-Blender 4.0 support has been added!
-Several baking related bugs have been fixed too!

Development of future exciting features has been going pretty well, can’t wait to reveal them soon! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Several updates have been released and a lot of new features have been added since then! :slight_smile:

I also just released a video showcasing some of the addon’s capabilities, I hope you will enjoy it!

4 Likes

I bought this addon - it’s certainly quite cool, and the developer is top-notch as well.

Definitely worth consideration, if you’re looking for an addon of this type.

1 Like

The beta version of the new bone linking feature is now available in the latest update! It helps preserving the underlying shapes when a given mesh has several bone chains deforming it!

4 Likes