Sword

This is my second project in Blender. It’s a simple model of a sword. I textured and modeled it entirely from my imagination. I know it’s not very detailed, but I hope to change that soon. I would appreciate any tips on how to make it cooler.

You can also view it on ShareCG, so I can generate some hits :slight_smile: http://www.sharecg.com/v/8360/3d-and-2d-art/Sword-(Work-in-Progress)

Thanks,
Steohawk

Attachments

ahh the sword was one of my first models too

you should think about the balance of the sword

Thanks, but how should I balance it? Should the blade be longer, shorter, broader, or thinner, or should I change something else.

I think that you should make the sword handle a little thinner and longer and make the blade thinner and longer too. Other then that, looks pretty good. Keep it up!

Thanks, Dudebot.

Yeah agreed. Right now it looks more like a dirk than a sword. Nicely done second project though.

I dunno about that handle. Looks like a piece of rough rock. Maybe tone down the bumpmap and change the color. And I’d probably increase the spec hardness for the blade, it looks kinda ‘soft’ right now.

Great start! Keep going!

Hi,

about the balance: What your sword needs is a pommel - the counterweight at the end of the hilt.

The blade is more on the short and tapered side, but I think it looks fine and it’s historically plausible:

I understand your sword is supposed to be fantasy, but it’s actually quite helpful to start from something real and add imagination later. Good start!

Regards

The guard should be metal, not wood. Wood would get chopped to bits quickly.