symmetrical modeling? +

Is it possible to have some form of automatic symmetical modeling in blender?

What i mean by that is, if i had half a circle it would add the other half onto it, as if it was one mesh, and if i edited any part of one half it would take affect on the otherside also?

Only other thing i need is some mech modeling tutorials if any of you know of any =)

Have you tried alt-d in object mode?

That duplicates the mesh /object.

I want to be able to edit the mesh /veticies on ‘one side’ and have blender do the exact same thing ‘in reverse’ so my model becomes symmetrical.

Actually it makes a linked duplicate and does the whole ‘edit one side, edit the other side automatically’ thing. So you see, you start modelling the other half, then alt-d it, rotate it and move it so the duplicate becomes the other half. Then, just edit away.

1. Go into edit mode.
  2. Delete one half of the vertices. The middle line should stay intact.
  3. Go into object mode and select your model.
  4. Alt+D and Esc immediately. So don’t move it.
  5. Ctrl+M -> (probably) X Local.
  6. If you edit either half, the other half will be edited mirrored.

Oh i see, thanks

1. Go into edit mode.
  2. Delete one half of the vertices. The middle line should stay intact.
  3. Go into object mode and select your model.
  4. Alt+D and Esc immediately. So don’t move it.
  5. Ctrl+M -> (probably) X Local.
  6. If you edit either half, the other half will be edited mirrored.
    Thanks egg

I’ve tried this before in the face tutorial, and just realized the Alt-D is not a single parent-child object relationship.

Not really sure where I could use this functinality, but it certainly is cool, and leaves my modelling options wide open.

Note: in this image I created a simple object, Alt-D to create object #2, then object #3, the object #4.

Any modifications I do to the primary parent #1 is duplicated on each child.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/9446/screen1test8xf.jpg