Synchronization of effects

Hello everyone, I am working on a spaceship shield project. I have created the shield, and am using particles to simulate the laser fire. I have added a collision modifier to the shield so the laser effect dies on contact. Now, I have created a shockwave in Adobe After Effects and saved it as a .tga animation. I want to synch the laser impact with the shockwave so that every time a laser hits the shield, the shockwave appears and starts exactly where the laser particle died. How can I set this up as I am looking at multiple laser hits on the shields. Thanks very much.

The only thing that comes to mind is Dynamic Paint. Seen many use it as displacement texture when rain falls on water, or similar. Haven’t been playing with it for quite some time, but now, like your scifi project, i too need same effects for my ships

Hello everyone, as an update, I have created a spaceship shield effect in which I lasers (particle system) striking a dynamic paint shield. I have set a collision modifier in which the particles die on collision with the shield. In the render viewport, the effect works perfectly. When I render with eevee, the lasers do strike the shield but fail to die and are showing going through the spaceship. Further, if I render with transparency the shield renders with white artifacts and again, the lasers don’t die on collision. What settings am I missing? Thanks

Looking at some tutorials they mentioned baking the effects, but there must be another way.

Did that. I deleted the bakes and redid them. That solved the lasers dying but the shield isn’t rendering with the transparency I hoped for. I will upload here shortly.

The whitish in the shield shouldn’t be there. Only the honeycomb light blue when impacted by the lasers.

if you are rendering in Eevee, there is another “option” with regards to activating Transparency in rendering… took me way to long to figure that out.

It’s in the material you are working on, “settings” and change Blend Mode… Why that is so hidden … and why it’s not on by deffault for transparent material is beyond me

Thanks Bro. I changed Blend mode to Alpha Blend and Shadow to none and same result.

Actually, my issue might not be a Blender issue but a Lightworks issue. Am going to play around in Lightworks a bit.

Got it!

1 Like