Synchronize Workspaces - Blender Add-on

I would like to present the first version of my add-on: Synchronize Workspaces.

Imagine how much time you waste restoring viewport position every time, then switching on a different workspace in Blender! With this add-on, you can switch between them fluently, because it keeps viewport position between different workspaces. It is that simple as it is.

You can disable synchronization for specific workspaces enable synchronization of shading mode and settings or switch on/off using widget:

Note, that add-on synchronizes the biggest 3D View in the workspace.

You can grab it for free or make some tip if you want here

Does it work well? If you faced some bugs or have suggestions, write comments here.

Thanks APEC, Debuk, pyCod3R for helping me in this project!

thumb

25 Likes

Hi,
very nice addon!
I have tested it a little and found some strange behavior with my custom workspace.
“MyScripting” workspace refuses to sync.
If you have time, can you check?
sync_test.blend (822.7 KB)

2 Likes

great idea, but for me it didn’t work at all. I only tried out with 3.1alpha though. Maybe it’s that. Also I have custom names and settings for all workspaces

Looks like I’ve found the problem, should be another window, that’s closed, but keeps in the memory. I’ll try to fix that.

1 Like

Should be the same problem, I’ll try to fix that

1 Like

It’s seems like in my case.
I have all default workspaces except one “MyScripting” which refuses to sync.

@APEC @ogonek should be fixed now. Download it again. Thanks for report and demo file!

Now it not sync even with default workspaces.

Broken while I was fixing:-) Should be fixed now

2 Likes

Yes, now it works!
Thanks for the quick fix!

Finally someone that take care of the unfinished workspace feature, I gave you 10 bucks for the initiative now I’m going to test it
Thanks

2 Likes

I have a small suggestion.
Don’t know if its possible to implement.

For example I have a complex scene with many objects. I focused on a specific one (or couple) and enter local mode. Then I switched to “UV Editing” and wanted to keep that was previously in local view.

I know that simple clicking “Num /” is the solution, but maybe it’s possible to make it built in. Or additional checkbox in the settings “Keep local view”.

Yes, local view is one of my next targets. It is a little more complicated, so it is not here right now…

1 Like

brilliant. it’s a relief. I’d like to tip you, but I don’t have a credit card though. I used to use paypal on gumroad, but seems it’s not available anymore
https://help.gumroad.com/article/275-paypal-connect.

I don’t know, I can give you my paypal address: [email protected] :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Crantisz
blendermarket also a good place.
This addon definitely deserves more attention.

Already posted. It is being moderated right now.

1 Like

Another thing that I found.

If you change view to “View Camera” and switch workspace, you get angles for 3d view but it not changes to “View Camera”. You need to do it manually.

If you switch to workspace that already in “View Camera”, it continue to keep “View Camera” and will not change anything.

If you in orthographic view and switch to some workspace with perspective view, it keep angles but not switch to ortho. The same if the opposite.

It some how need to store type (perspective/ortho) and view side (camera, top, bottom, etc.).
With camera may be difficult, because it also need to store the camera name.

It’s just a suggestions for the new features.

Edit:
adding nr3d.view_perspective = pr3d.view_perspective
after nr3d.is_perspective = pr3d.is_perspective (line 88)
seems to solve all previously described “problems” (if you don’t mind I looked into the code).
But it have some issue with redrawing orthographic grid and keeps ortho view after you starting to change angles (moving view).

Works fine from my first tries, here is other (your already know I guess) wishes if possible:

• Keep shading mode
  • Keep outliner collection state (fold/unfold)

Is it possible to sync viewports in the same workspace ? doesn’t necessarily have to be real time if any viewport is moved the other is updated to mimic it ?

EDIT: specifically 3D viewport.