Tango Icon Theme

if that happens,. please the grayscaled ones… the blue stuff is way too candy… :slight_smile:

.b

UI redesign for 2.5? Where did you hear about that? :confused:

Any screenshots?

if that happens,. please the grayscaled ones… the blue stuff is way too candy… :slight_smile:

Hey, don’t mess with my candy buddy :smiley:

Personally I don’t like those new icons. They’re just colorful and nothing more - don’t represent new quality in usability at all. To be honest, design we’re takling about, isn’t consistent. For example: some of icons cast shadow, others don’t; various “folders” are presented in various ways without any shared principal; the same situation we have with icons representing spheres - they are lit in different ways!; author used variety of arrows… Besides it’s hard to recognize what illustrate some of them.
I’m not defencing current style at all, even if I’m used to it, but by my mind those new icons design looks still too accidentaly (as current do) to be called “redesign”.

I was very interested to read the Tango icon rules, but I aggree with jendrzych actualy… mostly the new icons are just coloured versions of the old icons, and the icons are too small for the rules to really work. I these icons feel like a work in progress rather than a finneshed set.

While most computer aplications tend towards blue being the highlight colour, blender tends towards an orange highlight.

These are nice. You’re right, though, the way Blender fades them does make them look worse than they should. And some of the outlines should probably be darker too.

Of course, if it was up to me, Blender would store its icons in an image file and load them at startup rather than requiring a recompile. Then everyone and his pet iguana would be making icons and I’d be bound to find a set I like.

Haven’t tested it yet cause I’m not a programmer, even though it stood how to do it. But from the screengrabs it looks great. So I vote for this to be the default theme.

Hi jimmac!

Thank you for creating this theme! I really welcome this.

Personaly I would like a much cleaner formal reduced icon set with carefully used colors.

Blender has this beautiful modern resizeable UI - the fittig icon format would be SVG…

For future Blender versions a more skinnable system with external ressources would be great.

Different user like different icon styles - it’s hard to find one default skin to fit users needs - so Blender should be extendable like every modern skinnable application.

I know Jashaka has a long way to become a useful app. but they have some really professional interface designers - if you want to see waht I mean with “clean icons” take a look…

The Jashaka UI design challange showed some very impressive designs…

Best regards

nw42

Personally I think someone should take a serious look at the current blender icons and there meanings. Since 2.23 (as far I know) the icons have barely changed and some of them even got the nice 1995 low quality style feeling or just dont represent what’s the feature hidden behind that icon.

When I take a look at your icons I have to say it’s really an improvement, althought some are indeed too colorfull, It would be cool to have colored as well greyscaled ones since the colored icons would perfectly fit in a colored theme as well greyscaled in a grey theme.

I’m not sure if there’s already someone working on icons for 2.5 UI redesign, but it would be a good addition to change the current blender icons to something more up-to-date themed once as well better representing the features under it. Also remember to make a good contrast between elements of the icon, in some of the screenshot it’s hard to see what exactly the icon shows, but I think that’s just a matter of tweaking.

Good job and I hope blender will have one day some new designed icons in it’s UI.

Totally off base, but while we are talking about the next release…

One thing I want to see are the headers changed in order to have properly formated vertical button windows, I have a wide screen monitor and so I like to use vertical panels on the side and my 3d window in the middle (like modo). But, as you know, some of the buttons on the headers get covered up. Boy I would like to see that fixed.

BTW I like the new icons.

Hahh ha , soooo its that easy to edit the buttons \AND the preview shader models as well! sweet!

This coming from the KDE advocate!

Just make them gray in gimp or whatever Gray buttons are sweeeeeeet !

Nice buttons! Thanks, man!!

for msvc users, instead of ‘gcc datatoc.c’ run:

cl datatoc.c

then to create blenderbuttons.c, run:

datatoc blenderbuttons

You might also consider to rename your existing ‘blenderbuttons’ and ‘blenderbuttons.c’ files, rather than overwriting them.

Haha, seriously. The tango stuff is all blue and vivid because of KDE :slight_smile:

Too colorful?! You guys need to get out more, and see something besides your gray computerchassi.:rolleyes:

I really like this. Downloaded a build from graphicall that I will test at home later. Hopefully the customizing project will enable us to also change our icon sets, because blenders current ones are an eyesore.

I’ll probably use these in my own builds, with a few modifications here and there :slight_smile: Was planning on sitting down and make one this weekend…

Edit: Actually I have to agree that the manipulator icons are a bit on the bright side. The others are just spiffy, though :slight_smile:

Stupid question. The vertices (control points) in Blenders IPO, are they images as well?*
If so can they be “iconized” like instead of TINY dots they can have a nice larger dot button look to them. Nothing to crazy just simple antialiased round ness to them, and a bit larger

slikdigit,

I’d vote against it for the 2.34 release - too many books came out very recently using the current UI and we are towards the end of the release cycle. Agree though that it should be considered for after 2.34. Icon set and design should definitely be a consideration of the UI work for the 2.5 release.

LetterRip

@LetterRip, so UI will get an overhaul soon?(But someone told me that we are at 2.42 now not 2.33 going to 2.34, you’ve forgotten a few releases, just shows how busy you’ve been!) Anyway Thanks for the heads up! Actually, that is going to be an interesting assignment (nightmare) to whoever gets that job. I mean with everyone wanting it their own way… I hope it will be a team project. Good luck to whoever is assigned that one!

Personally I don’t mind these icons. They are fresh. Thanks for your efforts.

Ton has the assignment :slight_smile: The UI refactor was planned for long ago, the tool api has been planned for a couple of releases however Elephants Dream, Siggraph, and other factors ended up delaying the work. I did mean after 2.43, not 2.34 just reversed the numbers doh.

LetterRip

Yeah I know you meant that LetterRip, just giving you a hard time. Well, I hope that Ton can get as much help needed to pull off that project. It will be big, and it will be difficult to keep everyone happy. Anyway, thanks for that little info. And nice icons once again Jinmac, I really like what you’ve done!