Tank Thread

Hai thar.

This, as you can obviously see, is a tank thread. It’s loosely based on a few different tanks(most notably M60). This will be a part of the tank. I’ve actually got some more done, but it’s rubbish. Well, i’d like some focused critique, i quess, on this first bigger thing i’ve made all by myself and not from a tutorial.

Attachments

Really cool looking:yes: Is it animatable? Good luck with the rest of the tank, please keep us updated.

Looks very well done. Isn’t it called either a tank track or tread, rather than thread, though?

I’d be interested in knowing ho you formed the tank tracks… did you manually position each segment, or did you use modifiers?

Critique… ditch the blue background for a nice simple gradient or something, and use Approximate AO (it looks a little worse, but your renders will be way faster). Also, add more detail to the track segments, the wheels are good but the track is a little plain. Finally, you may want to add a flat plane under the tracks with an onlyshad material, so we get a nice shadow.

Good Luck.

Hi. I just finished a tank (It can be found through the link below). The detail is good, although I feel the tank tracks need some ridges or something on the outside to grip the dirt/mud/etc. I havn’t studied the older tanks though… it could be possible they don’t have these.

I animated the tracks using a tutorial I’d found in the blender forums somewhere… I’m at work now, so I can’t find it atm, but can dig it up if you havn’t already found it yourself.

There was also another tutorial in here somewhere, enabling the suspension to work for the bottom track wheels. If you can manage that, you got my respect - It’s leagues beyond my skill level.

Not animatable, it would take years before i did that.

yes, i’ve copied each segment of the track and positioned it. It could be done with curves to posiotion them, but there. Thanks for the other suggestions, will try them.

Not all of them have those afaik, challenger 2 has those simple blocks on the bottom of the track parts, similar with a1m2. Some tanks have rubber blocks fitted in the tracks, so they can go on a parade without destroying the tarmac, for example. This seems like a good idea though.

Right, now the renders. This obviously looks like garbage, but then i like it, so there. There’s a lot of things that need fixing, ERA’s are inconsistent, there is no autoloader, nade launchers look stupid, needs sideways exhausts, tug ropes, machineguns, stuff like that. The cannon used to be on the side, but looked dumb that way. I also don’t like the look of the turret, and the fact that i don’t know what more to add, since i don’t know anything about tanks, really.

That looks great!

As for detail, how about adding some gasoline barrels to the back. That would have a nice look and make a more industrial feel.

Just a quick update, fuel tanks are done i guess, i’m working on a towing cable that i’ll attach on the tank, few more details wouldn’t hurt i guess. There’s some recoil compensators visible here, i’m thinking about adding more and an armor extension, and more up in the front.

Still no idea how to position the autoloader…
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/5914/tanktankyt0.th.png

Another small update, i think i’m finished with the mesh, but since i don’t have a slightest clue about texturing, this is going to be fun. Anyway, my job is keeping me from doing anything blender related, which pisses me off, and here is the track with a material on it. As you can obviously see, it looks like utter garbage.
http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/7937/gasienicanormalcolorrusfw8.th.png
And another image of the whole thing, i would really like to add some texture detail like id numbers or warning labels, but i have to figure out how to do it first. It would look wicked tho.
http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/7585/whateverbm9.th.png

Model looks fine, good luck with the materials.

/ Mats

I really like your overall design and you have good and realistic details. The main hull, however, looks a bit overly polygonal and seems to be molded as a single piece. This could be part of the design of course, but I still suggest that you try to separate the pieces over the tracks from the main hull (add seams for example) and also give the sharp edges a slight bevel so they get some highlights.