Tarby's sketchbook

Very tasty looking greebles!

1 Like

Thanks Sam. Much appreciated.

The latest panels shader, and getting to grips with adding displacement and image decals using empties, as well as cooking up procedural scratches using a YT vid as a starting point.

4 Likes

Finally, a human skin shader setup I’m happy with. No matter what I tried I wasn’t happy with single layer SSS, so I ended up mixing two principled and one SSS. The top surface glossy “silkiness” or “flat spread” is through a microbump setup rather than a fresnel node which, surprisingly, was easier to control.

Edit: These show the cornea refraction from the side and its node setup.

G3F_shape_02_import29_microbump_render1_cornea

11 Likes

wow, you’re amazing! Very inspirational.

1 Like

That made me blush. Many thanks Sylvania.

Still playing with skin.

6 Likes

Still still playing with skin.

2 Likes

Switched from random walk to Christensen-Birley.

3 Likes

You are insane, oh my god! Incredible work

1 Like

Can i see the topology on it?

It’s the standard Genesis 3 Female from Daz Studio. Glad you like it.

1 Like

Love the asset manager and Kekit. Texturing is box projected, while ‘random per object’ from an Object node is used for offsets in the Mapping nodes translations, and to give slight variations to the colour values.

8 Likes

Work in progress. Marvelous Designer used for the palatka (cape) and bandolier.

2 Likes

Another WIP of the Rogue One/Solo stormtrooper which has taken months to research and build, along with the shoretrooper and Imperial officers. I’ve learned a fair bit about rigging, though.

5 Likes

Just playing with the armour shader to give it a more Remnant-ish weathered look.

3 Likes

Thankfully the shoretrooper uses a number of armour parts from the stormtrooper, and the shoretrooper shares most parts with a tanktrooper, etc. The shoulder bells are now more accurate, and there’s been a lot more playing with shaders which are still box mapping. The armour colour scheme is driven by vertex painting. I’ve lost count of how many edge shaders I’ve made to date. Recreating something like these is an interesting exercise in getting to grips with Blender modelling. Still a WIP and I’m bound to spot some inaccuracies as soon as I upload the latest render.

3 Likes

Fixes and more shader work done.

3 Likes

The oily streaks are mask decals added within the shader tree using z clipping so they don’t go through the object. Empties drive the placement. Here’s the setup which can be daisy chained and plugged into a mix node (inspired by someone whose name I’ve completely forgotten, it was so long ago).

1 Like

I think I’m done with the shaders which can be baked to texture maps. Now I’ll have to get familiar with drivers because rigging hard armour is not as straightforward as it seems, especially pauldrons/shoulder bells.

3 Likes