TASCAM PortaStudio - started wth the cassettes

Hi there. After the Christmas break I was having trouble getting up and running again and decided to do a quick yet challenging bit of modelling. I picked up a cassette tape I had, measured it all up and built it. Not content with that, I made sure the label had an Illustrator template for both sides, along with the label.
Then I thought the tape should have something to go in. So I built a Tascam PortaStudio. Used a fair bit of reference for all of it. The great thing with audio gear is that once you have one knob, you can have many, once you have a channel strip, you can have as many as you want. Probably the biggest and most tedious piece of work was building the front panel label art in Illustrator.
I built the VU meters to be animated if needed and the counter could be animated too. But that is all for another day. This project was just supposed to ease me back into being productive and it escalated very quickly into quite a complex build.

and the wire frame

There is probably some shocking topology there, but none of this is going to be deformed and as long as the shading holds up, I generally cut myself a break. :wink:

7 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like