Tauren Marine

yesterday I was able to apply a pose rig + organize the whole model. Everything should be nice and neat, transform values are applied, lots of renaming and got rid of unnecessary modifiers and objects.
Also got around to putting on the “Not Milk” and “Mad Cow” stickers. Modeled and textured the cigar + lots of small tiny things. I ended up working till 2.30 at night :confused:
The image above is from a 130 frame turntable animation that I’m currently rendering. The smoke is just quickly painted in 2d. I’m going to do a a few smoke sims later today, render separately and comp it on top later.
There’s still a few things left. Obviously the feet and face remains still. Also have to add smaller cables in the lower torso area and above the knee.

Looking awesome! Can’t wait to see the turn table!

hi guys,
i’m back working on this guy after a easter break. I’ve been busy handling mails (the glamours life of a freelancer… answering lots of mails :slight_smile: ), I’ve also written 10 vfx blender tips for 3d Artist magazine + a interview for a norwegian online magazine +++ … so there has been a lot of distractions

I’ve changed rendering engine over to Vray. It now renders quite a lot faster, so that great for animation.

I’ve also spent quite a lot of time trying to figure out how to work with 32-bit displacements out from zbrush

hi, sorry I didn’t post the turntable animation. I was a bit exhausted before easter
but here it is! The first two are cycles renders, the next is just a screen capture of the model and the last animation is a early wip-vray render.

Looking awesome!

I love the look of the clay render though. I don’t know much about vray, but it sure gives some nice looking results :slight_smile: Curious though (I’m bad at telling the difference), but did the clay render have some SSS? It almost seems like the horn tips are being penetrated just slightly.

thanks man. And thanks for following this thread so closely :smiley:

I like to experiment using different engines when I do big personal projects like these.
I used to use vray for c4d in my previous job (before I started using Blender), and I’ve also used max+vray for a architecture project, so I know vray fairly well.

yes, the displacement test clay render has a SSS material

np, gives me something to do while I wait on long running tasks to complete :slight_smile:

I’m guessing that it is like Lux render, in that you setup special materials using some sort of UI tweak specific to it, and then the render is exported somehow to the actual render binary? I’ve only ever tried Lux and yafaray myself, so I can only guess that it is similar with VRay

yeah I think you’re right. I don’t know exactly what happens under the hood, but i think it exports the scene out to “vray-geometry”, then feeds that into a external standalone binary.

One thing that is very nice with blender-vray is that there is a custom build of blender that multi-threads and accelerates the exporting. That’s very important on heavy projects like this one. I don’t think yafaray or lux has that. That’s a pretty big bottlenecks

Hi Man… your work really awesome… I want to ask how you texture all your hard surface model with great rust like that… ? Do you have a specific brush to paint the texture…or just with standard brush, ? I just watching your website… I have to say you are outstanding … :slight_smile:

thanks Bintang. Well, i suppose there are many ways to paint rust. I have talked about my approach to texture painting in a couple of my other posts in this thread, so if you haven’t already read those then i would recommend going back and just read those…
but yeah, i do use textured brushes but I don’t have a specific one no. We now have the new stenciling feature, that one is great for this sort of job

Here’s a clay render of him in his pose. I’m having some issues with the textured version, so only clay render this time.

I need to have something presentable for my reel soon’ish so I’m trying to do the finishing touches. If you see anything that stands out as being “wrong” or “not as good as it should be” then please feel free to tell me :slight_smile:

Read all posting here, interesting … :slight_smile:
I’ve already read how to texture hard surface from Stefan Morrell…
http://www.game-artist.net/forums/spotlight-articles/42-tutorial-hard-surface-texture-painting.html
I can understand, but still can not achieve good result I think…
but you can achieve it as good as him… so a great thank if you want to share how you achieve that scratch like one of close up image on the leg…

EDIT :
original link from his website…
http://stefan-morrell.com/downloadfiles/Painting-Hard-Surface-Textures.pdf

Nothing looks wrong at all, except he isn’t blasting holes in something coming at him :smiley:

@Bintang Senja - Stefan Morrell is so awesome. I don’t think I can be compared to him, but thanks :slight_smile:
I actually read his texturing tutorial when I was researching for this.

here’s a small piece of the isolated scratch layer:

Painting that for every piece is a huge amount of work (as you can probably imagine), but I did get pretty fast after doing it a couple of times.
I use that layer as a mask to reveal a metal texture that I then blend into the spec+bump+diffuse.

there are more then one way to do this. I chose to hand paint it because this is a portfolio piece.

hehe, my original plan was to create a scene where he is shooting at this guy:

but I just don’t have the time and energy to do it. This project has taken me way to long to complete and my motivation is long gone

btw, that’s a hydralisk, from the same star craft universe, that I made for my mango-application over a year ago.

I t looks awesome, and sorry you aren’t equipped to put more time into it - but this is still an inspiring thread nonetheless.

thanks. that’s good to hear.

here’s a couple freshly rendered frames. There’s still a lot of small tiny little things that needs attention, but it’s getting close :slight_smile:

Attachments

Great project man!! Can’t wait to see it finished :yes:

love the “not milk” on the armor plate, funny

Awesome work, five stars from me.

i’m finishing up the work on the turntable animations for this guy. Here’s the last frame

man, after working on this since… end of January (!) I think this project is finally coming to an end :slight_smile:
(i can see the light at the end of the tunnel… i think)

and shaded

and wire