Tears of Steel but Animated | WIP Blender 2.64 reimagination

TEARS OF STEEL ANIMATED VERSION

Part 3 | Character And Optimization

Hi, Welcome to the third and last part of this journal, last night i worked all night long creating the character and optimizing my materials to work with sketchfab, so let’s talk a little bit about it.

MODELING THE CHARACTER

Captian yes Captain

I had a lot of fun doing the character, once again i based the design on the character from the shortfilm and modeled with the “moving vertex” techinque because i was insecure about how much vertex the scene should have to work propperly insinde the Real Time Viewer of Sketchfab so sculpting doesn’t seem like the way to go.

Modeling ITerations

TEXTURING THE CHARACTER

Everything looks better by hand

Next step was to texture the model and here i had a little problem, at fist i textured using only pbr materials just like i did with the environment, but something feeled off and i didn’t like it at all.
And it buged me that much that even when i was running out of time i decided to texture it all by hand, and actually it turned reaaaaally good.

Texture style comparisson

BAKING

o god...

Last but not list i added the character to the environment and pose it, and it fet so well!! <3, everything was just perfect…

…until… one of the critearia for the judges was:

So that means that all the materials that looked like this:

Should look like this:

In adition to it i had to bake the lights into every material because i had 10+ lights and in the viewer you can use a 3-4 lights scheme of ilumination.
BakedLights

honestly it was so less paintfull than i thinked, even when i had to re-build the scene 4 times into sketchfab 'till i achieve what i thing was the best version i could have :slight_smile:

After i got every material working on the viewer i ended up having fun with the viewer’s postprocessing steps and ended up with this:

sketchfabs

Here is a link so you can view it on sketchfab :slight_smile:

And that’s pretty much it, this marks the end of this 3 part series journal on this crazy adventure hope you like it and thank you so mucho for taking the time to read.

I Also streamed part of the process on my youtube channel if you want to take a look:

Modeling the Character

Modeling the environment

<3

8 Likes