Technopapal Destroyer [WIP]

The battle continues:

4 Likes

Now that’s cool to see, the size comparison totally changed how I perceived this in respect to it being in a scene! This is definitely one of the most unique models I have seen in a while, bravo sir, bravo!

Hoping you do put it in a scene eventually, very curious to see what you do. Since I haven’t read/seen the stories you posted from those artists/authors I have no clue when it comes to context.

1 Like

Thanks @Punker3D! Really appreciate it.

This time I finished some parts with shrinkwrapped decals:

4 Likes

Ok, that node tree makes my head nauseous…that’s insane! I have seen intricate materials like this before, and I realize several could be tying in and piggy backing off one another to create a specific section. But, looking at the whole thing is crazy to see. Now make it into a node group with just a couple sliders to control it! :rofl:

I was rereading some of the posts and see that you mention you will be creating a scene, cool!

2 Likes

That node tree is nothing special. Then one I posted in your thread tho gave me couple gray hairs.
If you are curious you can find earlier version of it in my old WIP thread named Groundworks.

2 Likes

Finishing last hull patches. I’ve got only two more to do.
This particular one was tricky. It’s located at the front exactly between three main features: golden bridge, red entrance and white cannon. So finding right color, value and shape wasn’t easy. I went through dozen of iterations and finally I found something that I really like and that fit the overall design.

I also did some work on attachments:

3 Likes

The bulk of the work is done. There are still some places that need to be polished but I’ll do it only if particular shot require it.

For the last two patches I used mostly Geometry Nodes and a little cloth sculpting.
Now I can start working on the scene.

3 Likes

What’s better than one spacecraft? TWO spacecrafts.

This will be a fighter and will be much smaller and simpler than the big boy.

3 Likes

Almost done. Only major part left are the engines.
I wanted this ship to be less organic and more heavy armored. When it comes to scale it will be a little bigger than the Airbus, so I don’t want to go too crazy with the details.

4 Likes

Looks crazy!

I can’t find anything about the term “Technopope”
Do you have a link to anything that reference this, please?

Thanks @Hexenfasching !

The technopope and the technochurch are at the center of the comic book series called The Technopriests by Jodorovsky, Janjetov and Beltran. You can also find them in The Incal and The Metabarons.

https://www.humanoids.com/blog/Metabunker/tag/The-Techno-Technos/1
https://www.humanoids.com/blog/Metabunker/tag/The-Techno-Technos/5

Oh, cool! I think I get it now. They have like these biodome-designs.
I am really attracted to the “Lothar” design though.
Nice

I wouldn’t simplify the Jodoverse to mere biomes. In terms of world creation it pretty much matches Dune.

Engines and first material pass are done.

4 Likes

Simple rig for the fighter engines with hooks:

Visor and black hull shaders:

The biggest part was cleaning both models, removing unused meshes, materials and textures. With the main ship I shaved over 700MB from the scene file. After that I parented all meshes and relevant ship parts to an empty so I can move the entire model around the scene. Next was appending, cleaning and scaling fighter model which was then instanced.

And a quick test scene with Nishita sky and some volume:

6 Likes

I’ve been toying with volumes and Mantaflow for last day and a half.
I’m looking for a good and quick workflow with volumes, and I think after these tests I might have some form of a plan.
Bear in mind that the scene is just a test, so composition, lightning and camera settings will change for final shots.

First rough bake on low-poly model

Next bake and procedural clouds from Geometry Nodes

High resolution bake with noise. This one took a while but gave me rough idea what areas I need to refine and how to break up the volumes into smaller chunks for baking with different resolutions.

I didn’t put much work into volume shader and purposefully used high density to better judge the shape.

5 Likes

Another asset for the scenes

3 Likes

There is so much in this thread that is amazing. I keep looking at parts and wondering “how the hell did he do that?” (although looking at the complexity of the scene I also wonder “how the hell is his PC coping with that?!”).

Can’t wait to see the finished scene.

1 Like

Thank you very much @grant.r.brown, really appreciate it.

For both ships basic workflow is this:

I skipped the shrinkwrapping part and did coarse modeling on the base mesh directly. With bigger models its necessary because of the performance.

The rest is mostly shaders.

My secret sauce has 3 ingredients:

1. Linux
  2. 256GB of RAM
  3. Threadripper

I could upgrade GPU, but that’s another story.

4 Likes

Today I have finished some ground assets:

And added engine trails to the ships:

4 Likes