Techwear Character

It has been a while since I posted an actual artwork! I actually almost completed this one some weeks ago but the perfectionist in me took over and I continued to tinker with the face. In the end, the face took up about 75% of the total time spent :sob:. And what is even worse is that after about 100 shape key tweaks I am still not completely satisfied

Other than that, I am actually very pleased with the materials, lighting and overall style. For the hair, I used a method similar to the one I showed for the Wisteria character. I might do an in-depth tutorial on that later. For the outlines, I used the inverted hull method optimized with GN. Almost all the materials are based on the inbuilt toon shader.

https://imgur.com/a/cJIhuDa

Thumbnail

Thanks for viewing! Feel free to comment and ask questions.

71 Likes

Nice work! Looks great! :smiley:

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Wow, a great work. thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Lovely style and characterdesign and all, but I have to wonder at what point did her spine snap in half? I mean, come on, her navel is at approximately 90° twisted along her body’s neuraxis when compared to her sternum.
That’s kinda cringeworthy (including for it’s such a, ehm, T&A presentation clichĂ©e usually predominantly (if not exclusively) seen on female characters). :neutral_face:

greetings, Kologe

1 Like

Fantastic artwork i love the pose that you gave her !

1 Like

The pose is not actually as extreme as you might think. The chest may seem to be directly facing the camera due to the flat lighting. Similarly, the twist of the pelvis may seem exaggerated due to the baggy pants and the poking-out accessories. The actual twist angle of the shoulders and pelvis along the longitudinal axis is about 70⁰ (I checked the rig). Along the frontal axis, it’s about 30⁰. The angle between the naval and sternum is between 40⁰ to 45⁰.

One important thing to keep in mind is that this is an instantaneous pose and not a prolonged one. Even real-life photos tend to look fake when taken in a dynamic position. I did some Google searches and found these real references

full-length-body-size-photo-woman-taking-selfie-throwing-hair-jumping-laughing-isolated-vivid-yellow-color-background_274222-39310
istockphoto-175490496-612x612
istockphoto-531000298-612x612

A more interesting example I found was this one

In my opinion, this real person’s ability looks more impossible than my fake character. The pose being a “clichĂ©â€ one is a very intentional choice because I was going for a fashion magazine / comic look style with white soft lighting and thick exaggerated borders.

I have no idea how you can consider this a sexualized pose. The words I would use would be joyful, proud, athletic, playful, etc. Yes, this is a female-exclusive pose. But why does that matter? There are many poses which are preferable for only a single gender. Try searching for male and female poses and count how many apply to both genders.

4 Likes

Thank you for the features!

1 Like

I see. It looked a lot more twisted than it actually is, my bad.

Yes, I agree, given the twist is nowhere as strong as I thought, it’s perfectly plausible.

Maybe because in popular culture (in a broader sense) such examples are legion and you can easily find any number of them.

I’m not quite following you here, I’m sorry. Maybe try to rephrase (or maybe we’ll just leave it (this side-discussion) at that).

greetings, Kologe

1 Like