Teenage Witch

Yaroslava Apollonova (https://www.instagram.com/odnatamyara/) published amazing illustration to celebrate 100K of follower on her Instagram page. I just had to made it in 3D :-). Done in Blender, rendered with EEVEE.

Render:

Render Close Up:

Clay:

Free Wallpaper:

Original illustration from Yaroslava Apollonova (https://www.instagram.com/odnatamyara/):

80 Likes

You’re #featured! :tada:

3 Likes

Cool. Thanks :smiley:

3 Likes

wow your first render has such a beautiful 2D illustration look! fantastic work.

2 Likes

Thank You so much, I’m glad You like it

this is why they invented 3D, better more clear version and natural shading from all angles. the best!

3 Likes

Great work, congrats.

1 Like

I really appreciate You like final render, now I used 3d medium for artwork :+1::sunglasses:

1 Like

Now, it might well strike you as “a niggling, even trite thing,” that, in the very first thumbnail image that I saw, my eyes were distracted by – first – the way that “her hair” seemed to be a visual blob that intruded upon her left eye. And – second – the odd wrinkle(?) on her left knee. Maybe it’s little things – like a left-arm that seems half-face-sized, and, against that, a broomstick that must be impossibly small. I guess it just right now feels “out of proportion.” Great idea, great character, but …

All of this is intentional. There is a beauty in art, it doesn’t need to be logical, just need to be effective and appealing to majority of public. :smiley:

2 Likes

I agree with @kekeljevic here. The moment artist clings himself to a reality, less creative he/she gets. What separates a great artist from the rest is that he/she can to break reality and logic to mold its idea, while the rest only can create what’s given and already existing objects.

1 Like

Btw, stunning work! Love the shading and the shapes of the character! You really brought out the illustration into another level!

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Check out new article on Blendernation.com in category Behind the scenes, about Teenage Witch digital sculpt. I shared my workflow, some practical solutions in Blender and some useful links for YouTube channels.

1 Like

This is the time I have been waiting for, when a 3D starting point can look like anything with the right materials, lighting and rendering. Although you cannot claim the character design, your version has enhanced colors and shading while nearly precision-matching the outlines of the illustration. You have given even more life to the character, this so-called “witch girl”.

I did not see any of this right away, but looking for these details - I still cannot see anything the matter with the hair or broomstick. But I can see the crease in her knee might be too strong and her left arm too weighty. These are minor things that stem from a 3D modelers attention to proportion and shading. In the illustration these are more easily overlooked because the blush on the kneecap is given to artistic license and the hefty left arm (in comparison to the right tucked arm) doesn’t feel as weighty because it is slightly more muted and flat shaded.

Whether these issues should be fixed in the EEVEE version is up to kekeljevic and how true he wants to be to the original artist. It seems like he was going for a more exact replica.

1 Like

Thank You for this review, I appreciate it.

1 Like