Teeth modeling

Hi everybody !

I’m a dentistry student, and I’m currently working on my thesis, which consists in an educational software written in C++.
I need 3D teeth models so I can make some videos/animations/images, so I started to model 3D teeth :

And here comes my question : should I make a mesh shaped as enamel is in reality and another mesh shaped as dentin is (left solution on the drawing below), or should I model the global shape of the teeth, duplicate it, scale it down and put in inside of the other mesh (right solution), in order to create realistic shaders later on ? The first solution seems to be the best to me as it’s closer to reality, but isn’t it going to give me some problems with overlapping faces ?

great comment on this topic from blender stack exchange:

“Good results can be done with tooth geometries that consist of 2 surfaces: dentin (refraction 1,45) and enamel (refraction 1.7).”

Thank you for both your answer and link, I had already seen this thread, but as you can see in one of the comments :
“How the geometry have to look like ? A tooth and another one inside it right ?” which would be solution 2, but nobody answered him whether or not it was right :frowning:

Thank you for both your answer and link, I had already seen this thread, but as you can see in one of the comments :
“How the geometry have to look like ? A tooth and another one inside it right ?” which would be solution 2, but nobody answered him whether or not it was right :frowning:

looks interesting but

any nodes set up for this ?

thanks
happy bl

Thank you Modron for both your link and answer, I had already seen this forum thread, but as you can see in the comments somebody asked :
“Very interesting! How the geometry have to look like? A tooth and another one inside it right?” which would be the solution 2, but nobody answered him whether or it was the right thing to do :frowning:

I think whichever is easier for you … the render should be very similar in both. but just to point out, you could do a mix of both…
duplicate the mesh as in section 2, but delete the parts you dont need (the parts under the gumline)

If the surfaces are trying to occupy exactly the same positions (i.e. the inner surface of the enamel and the outer surface of the dentin), you are indeed likely to run into trouble, so I’d go with solution 2.