'Terrain Mixer' Explorations

Hello everyone. This is my second post here. These HERE are some of the explorations I did with ‘Terrain Mixer’ which is a complex Cycles material setup that I use for building terrains. I have built it so I can work much faster when searching for the right look. I hope you’ll like some of them. I have also made some video tuts that you can check HERE.

14 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes

3 Likes

Really nice terrains here. I must check out the tutorials.

2 Likes

very interesting your work the rendering are super!

1 Like

Really love the mood in these!
Is the grain a render byproduct, or is it applied in post?

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thanks so much. Have a nice evening.

Cheers,
Marko

1 Like

Thanks a lot. Depends on the render you are looking at. Sometimes I like rendering with less than 200 samples.

This looks very promising!! :star_struck:
Some of the best Blender mountains I’ve ever seen.

I watched the videos and think I kind of understand how the shapes of the landscapes are created by mixing 3 height maps.

Now I would be very curious to see what options there are with the diffuse maps. And how they are created.
So far I saw rock/snow and sand. Are there other options? Or how easy is it to customise the existing ones? Eg. to get an Icelandic rock/grass landscapes?
I guess just one grey and one green color will not do it. (I played around with Terragen a while back. There lot’s of different shades are used to create convincing results.)

1 Like

There are diffuse maps included that work well with the heightmaps but, since you mix, it is actually for faking it. I like them because they give a nice texture. However, I also love using the simple procedural texture setup because it can be more accurate when defining terrain characteristics. Have in mind that so far the focus was more on terrain shape and less on the coloring. This is definitely something that is being worked on and will get an upgrade soon. The snow/sand is super useful because you can use it to give additional complexity to the terrain, so it doesn’t have to be white, it can be a slightly different color than the terrain, just to emphasize the structure. Also, you can regulate the area it covers, but atm you have to enter the node group to do that.

Thanks for your explanation.
I was actually expecting the colouring to be done procedurally. It seems to offer more possibilities. But it would need to allow for different shades of a color to be applied by steepness, pointedness or other characteristics of the terrain. (Plus some noise and/or musgrave textures to break them up even more.)
And it would need quite a few different shades to get realistic looking results, I guess.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to a diffuse map / procedural colouring video. :wink:

No worries, it’s in the making. Don’t expect it like next week or something like that. :smiley:

Anyways, here’s the video for total beginners: https://youtu.be/dvg-bEZw8Fg

Some updates and a timelapse…

2 Likes
1 Like