Here is my “LODShader”
This shader handle the terrain LOD. It uses real-time displacement in order to display more polygons near the camera, and less polygons far way. This allow you to make huge open world for your games! Or at least, big background for your games.
It’s still in developpement, but I hope it already could be useful
EDIT: Update 2013/02/28 ============================
There is now a fully working physic system that allow on-foot gameplay (FPS, TPS, race game, vehicles, etc.).
- fast and efficient LOD via real-time displacement.
- unobtrusive and easy to setup, highly ajustable.
- multilayer shading with 4 materials
- colormap, normalmap and specularmap for each of these 4 materials
- stencil maps to mix different materials
- 2-steps fog (2 colors and 2 distance)
- baked shadows map support
What it can’t do:
- cast and receive dynamic shadows (you have to bake them)
- have collision (but you can use an invisible collision mesh)
UPDATE : dynamic shadow and collisions are now possible !
In what kind of game I can use it:
- All of them, except a game where the collision with the player and the ground are too visible. This is the big weakness, for now.
Where to download it:
How to use it:
As I said before, it’s easy to setup. Easy, but not obvious… that’s why I made this little tutorial…