Testing out the new Hair Node Group Assets with a Teddy Bear

Wanted to test out the new node group assets for myself! I found the animal fur samples really helpful for understanding how to get the best out of the system.

64 Likes

Super cool! it works really well !

What was your impression of these new groups ?

Welcome to the forum btw !

1 Like

Thanks! Honestly the new groups are great, I didn’t find myself having to dive into them and adjust individual nodes almost at all. I did find, however, that it is much easier and more customizable to use them within a node setup, rather than stacking them in the modifier panel. Also, since I’m working on a laptop, processing the hair is really quite slow, so I found it very helpful to work on a small plane first and develop the hair look, then transfer that to the bear for the final render. I tried developing the look directly on the model and it was pretty unworkable

4 Likes

Great thanks !

I’m wondering how non-technical people would react to these groups, I hope they find them easy enough to work with so they can enjoy hair grooming.

TBH the old system didn’t look super simple either to me but some people are node phobic…

2 Likes

I made a couple of attempts at using the old system and I’m sure it was possible to get good results from it but I never succeeded.

Yeah I wonder how non-technical people will find it too, I guess thats the reason that they have mainly been presented as stacking modifiers rather than as node groups to use in a tree. I hope that most people will be able to use them effectively, since it’s definitely possible to get good results with just stacking groups, and when you do that you don’t have to worry about fields etc.

2 Likes

That’s awesome work!

I’m still stuck with the old system myself, really keen on getting into this. Is there a good starter resource you’d recommend to start experimenting?

Yeah the main thing for me was to use the sample animal furs file provided with the 3.5 release, it gives a good idea of how to use the node groups in node trees and get certain effects.

2 Likes

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you! That’s so cool

1 Like

Is this rendered in Cycles?

Just because i cant unsee it now, shouldn’t the window handle be on the other side? :sweat_smile:
except from that sick work man

1 Like

Yeah, using a node setup ripped from the fur sample file

2 Likes

Thats a great point hahaha, not sure what the use is of a handle on the outside !!

Wow! this looks so real

1 Like