Text disappears in .blend files, when I chg font they come back, but I didn't move original font !?

I have a dozen blend files that have text in them that use a font I downloaded called Chathura ExtraBold, a free Google font.
I’ve not moved this font on my system but all the text disappeared in numerous .blend files.

I found it was a font issue because I linked in a Windows system font, Arial, and the text came back.

Is there a way of getting this text back without having to go through the dozens of text objects in my files I have with this font in them?

Try installing the font for all users (double click the font file, choose install for all users, you’ll need admin credentials)

Here’s what I think happened.
When I first did all the text in multiple files, I imported a font from a subdirectory, not from the Windows Fonts folder.
I then renamed that subirectory then opened each .blend file.
The links between the text and font seemed to have been lost, even though the font name is still there.

I installed the font as admin in Windows Font folder for all users.
But Blender didn’t pick back up the lost link, and my text is still invisible. Looks like I’ll have to go through each text object and relink : (

I don’t suppose there is a way to select all my text in a collection and bulk replace font is there?

Actually I find simply clicking on unlink - the x - brings the text back!
I just have to do that for each one now.

1 Like