Text is all blurry

When I have a text object in my scene it looks very sharp and fine. When I start the game it goes all blurry because its being converted to the font image as opposed to a object. This drastically restricts the size I can make it. Is there any way to “sharpen” the displayed font or keep the font in its object(mesh) form in game?

Yeah, you can convert the text to a 3D object with Alt-C. However, you won’t be able to edit the text after it’s converted.

sorry, I failed to mention that I wanted the text to be editable. Currently that is what I’m doing for stationary text, but it makes all other text look messy.

Edit: I’m thinking of just making a python script that spawns the mesh versions of the letters where they need to be, but I just need to know if that is the simplest way to do this before I go and spend the time.

If you’re already looking at Python, then I would suggest taking a look at Bgui, which is a library to make GUIs in the BGE. It has anti-aliased fonts. You can see some examples here: https://code.google.com/p/bgui/wiki/Gallery

You need to place the font object far away from the camera (scale it up to increase the size).

It looks as there is a bug in the Font object resolution calculation. While it is fine at a separate overlay scene this makes it hard to use them within a 3D scene.

These are the resolutions at various distances:

Thank you, that fixed it perfectly. Shame that it has to work like that.

Yep thanks monster, thats been something that has been annoying me for a while. Thats a pretty bad bug indeed. But, as you said, its easy to get around if you are using a separate Scene for it.

This is just what I was looking for! Thanks!