Texture Atlas with Quick Edit/Texture Painting?

Hello!

I’m trying to figure out a good way to add unique details to models that use a texture atlas. (The model is destined for a game.) I’d like to add details like grime and moss on top of the atlas.

But since UVs overlap with this technique, it’s impossible to texture paint onto just one face without also painting on all other similar faces.

Is there some way to work around this, which is exportable, without resorting to manually adding new detailed elements directly on the atlas?

(See below for a rather contrived illustration of what I mean.)

Thanks for your attention!

For what it’s worth, adding a second UV map and a new texture (with transparency) to go with the map, then combining the first and second textures by using shader nodes works pretty well… in Blender.

The result is unfortunately a total mess in Godot, which is where the model is going.

(The result of naively exporting the above, as seen in Godot.)

Welcome :tada:

you may have to play with the godot settings… because the two UV maps seems to not nicely export… so you may have to setup a shader in godot…

…and… there maybe is a more suited community:

Thanks for the reply!

It does seem like Godot should have support for up to 8 UVs maps per glTF, so like you suggest, I’m probably doing something wrong in Godot.

For the time being, I can (in Blender) bake the two textures together using a third UV map, then export only the baked texture and its UV map to Godot. This is probably a non-optimal way to do it, but at least the intended result is achieved. I’m marking this as solved.