Texture mapping clarity

This is a two part question:

1. I would like my texture to reflect the order in my color ramp, but it’s not mapping in the order the colors are established in the ramp. In other words, I’d like the bands to go white>grey>white>blue, but for some reason they start off grey on the model. Can someone explain how Blender is interoperating my setup here and how I can get the texture to mirror the order of the color ramp

2. Related to the above question. If I array this object, I get even more unpredictable (to me) results…notice the really thick white band. What gives?

The wave texture is made of a repeating pattern. This means that your color ramp will also repeat over a certain distance. If the bands aren’t aligned properly, then the wave texture must be misaligned with the model.

Try to disconnect the color ramp and look at how the wave texture maps to the model. If you want a predictable behavior, the wave texture should be aligned so the gradient is the same size as the object and covers it neatly.

Isn’t that just the big white section in your color ramp? I see your mapping “scale” is negative, so maybe the gradient is just going in the opposite direction from what you think? Also, remember that the color ramp repeats.

Thanks for pointing out that the negative scale makes the ramp go in reverse. That’s what was throwing me off.

I also had to change the origin from the default (center of geometry) to the edge/plane where I wanted the texture to start. When it was in the center of the geometry it was starting the texture from the center rather than the bottom edge.

1 Like