Texture not following deform

Hi all

I’d like the stripes to follow the bend in the geometry. The bend was created using an empty and a deform modifier. I’ve run into this problem before, and straightening the UV’s did the trick, but that method is not working in this case, and I think it might be because the bend was applied via a modifier? Any thoughts on how to get the striped texture to bend with the geometry? This is suppose to mimic the edges of paper (I’m exaggerating the bend for clarity)

It’s possible to change it

Yeah I’ve got my material mapped to the object rather than the UV so it would repeat rather than scale when transforming my object.

So stupid question, is it a common workflow to change the mapping of a texture depending on the procedures you are trying to do?

It needs to be deformed, and if the material needs to be followed according to the deformation, UV is required.

Is there a reason why I can’t use UV.

I don’t understand this but when I switch from object to UV the texture disappears. If I switch to Generate the texture appears and now follows the bend in the geometry…BUT the reason I originally mapped th etexture to the object was that I didn’t want the texture to scale when I extruded a face of the geometry. When I swith to generated and then extrude or scal the geometry then texture scales too.

Is there no way to keep the texture scale while also following the deform?

I understand that using Generated automatically resizes the material.
You can initialize the scale of the object or modify it in edit mode. (maintain object scale 1/1/1)

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/render/shader_nodes/input/texture_coordinate.html

That’s just the thing, I am modifying it in edit mode to achieve more “volume”, and the texture scales as soon as i switch back to object mode.

Also, I never scaled the geometry in object mode so that’s always been 1/1/1. But I double checked just to make sure.

Here, this illustrates the problem. As you can see here, I switch to edit mode, expand the geometry and it looks fine, but as soon as I switch back to object mode the texture scales too. What am I misunderstanding?

BTW this scaling issue is why I wanted the texture coordinates output to be set to object rather than generated. But as you pointed out object output doesn’t allow the texture to follow the deform. Is there no way to get both?

I finally got this sorted…I think. By turning OFF auto texture space under an objects data properties, the procedural texture appears to no longer scale as I’m modifying my geometry in Edit mode. I picked this tip up from watching https://youtu.be/3q3i26RGeVQ?si=AwmnoND-t05AmG2d&t=41

Side note: Christopher3D has some killer tutorials for anyone like me who is still learning their way around the nuances of the Blender interface and the apps occasional perplexing behavior.