Texture paint mask not painting?

Hi,

This is probably a pretty standard question but I can’t seem to find an answer online. I’m trying to add some black strokes to my character’s face to bring out features (since I’m using a shader-rgb toon shader). I UV unwrapped (pretty lazy unwrap since I’m just worried about the face, but let me know if this is the problem), created a black image texture, and planned to use some sort of masking shader setup similar to something I saw online. However, the brush doesn’t paint on either the character or the image texture in the UV editor.

Any ideas? If there’s an easier way to add some black strokes to the character than the masking thing, let me know, too.

Thanks!

Material set-up would not have an impact.
Texture paint mode and UV editor don’t take it into account.
Stencil and cavity masking would not impact UV editor.

It is possible that trying to create a mask, you create a Texture Mask for brush, that is deactivating it in UV Editor and Viewport.
Or that may be another kind of tweaking of brush settings that is deactivating it.

You can draw lines onto the model using the grease pencil.
If you want the lines like in a cartoon / anime image that will automatically change for animation then look at the line art modifier.