Texture Painting Is in the wrong Place

So I made this mushroom - Im following a texture painting video.
So it is painting on the very opposite side.

uvlesson5-25-2022.blend (886.3 KB)

So It must be how I have it unwrapped but I think i unwrapped just like the tutorial shows. What Im I doing wrong ?

So like I painted the stem and its like it is painting the backside of the other side ?? something is flipped someplace.

Your normals are inverted so the brush projection is incorrect.
In edit mode, select all faces and recalculate the normals to fix it. You might also want to unwrap it again for a more appropriate UV orientation.

2 Likes

To add to @init_pixel ’s excellent and correct reply, you can turn on Face Orientation in your Viewport Overlays. Anything red is flipped and will paint wrong. Anything blue is correct.

If you’re still encountering issues after that, I’ve written up some solutions to texture painting problems here:

1 Like

Thank you ! - The normals show up in overlays when I am in edit mode. Red is the warning that my faces are flipped. I started with a circle then extruded up. Not sure how they got flipped yet. It now paints as it should.

1 Like

uvlesson5-26-2022Stencil.blend (968.3 KB)

This is the other problem I can not seem to figure out.

Click on the X next to “Texture” over in your properties to remove the texture from the brush, this should do it

1 Like

Yes your right ! I opened both versions of the file side by side and went through all those settings. Thanks

1 Like

So If I can get this figured out it would be really cool ! Are there addons that make this easier. ? It seams if I get it figured out I can duplicate my material in the node editor and create layers as I do in photoshop is that right ?

Stencils are square images, so what you can do is put your ruler texture on a square image with a transparent background in Photoshop, and use that as the stencil :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok transparent and Square !

thank you.

1 Like

awesome, that looks great!