Texture Size/Resolution vs Mesh Size/Blender Units

Hi I am currently trying to texture an image on a flat plane in blender by uvmapping the texture to the plane and noticed bluriness especially when zoomed in closeup and was wondering what cause of it might be.

I was wondering if the size of the texture in pixels(such as 1024 x 768) as compared to the size of the mesh has anything to do with how clean/crisp the texture appears at various distances from the camera?

I have heard the term Blender Units but am not 100% sure if it is related at all to the size of the mesh in blender.

I was curious if resizing textures in photoshop causes loss in quality that might cause blurriness. Are there limits on how large or small you can scale a texture down and still expect the quality to remain good?

I was also curious if the order in which I UV Map a texture vs scale/change size of the mesh matters for texture crispiness? Does scaling a mesh after applying a UVMap scale the texture too and that results in blurriness? Does UV Mapping after Scaling vs Scaling then UVMapping make a difference in how blurry or clear or stretched out the texture appears on the 3d model?

I was curious if resizing textures in photoshop causes loss in quality that might cause blurriness
Changing the size of a texture cannot add any more detail that was not there in the original texture.

For UV textures just ensure that you are using as much of the UV space as possible so you get the most out of your texture.

Whether an object is 1 blender unit wide or 1000 blender units wide should not affect the texture if they have the same UVs. If you are close to an object you will see more blockiness in the texture than if you are further away from the object.

What renderer are you using
What material and texture settings
Supply example screenshots and blend files and textures

Hi James! Welcome to the forums.

Richard’s advice is good and I’ll just add that the texture quality you see in textured or material view (from the viewport) does not always reflect what you get when you actually render. Another tip is that you should calculate as best you can the absolute closest distance the camera will be to your texture, and the resolution of your camera, to get the recommended resolution for your texture.

There is no need to have a 1000 x 1000 texture if the object it is on only takes up a tiny corner in the camera view. But if you know your going to be really close to a ground texture for example, you’ll have to get as big as you can - 4k or higher - to prevent the pixelation you described.

Good luck!

So then the size of the texture in terms of pixels affects only how blurry or sharp it will appear while zoomed in/out? So then I could apply a smaller texture to the same mesh and it would still look exactly the same except it would be blurrier up close?

I’m curious about the math behind uv mapping because i’m having trouble imaging how the discrepancy in the size of the mesh vs the texture is rectified by blender. Is the image scaled appropriately to fit the mesh? Are UV Maps dependent at all on the size of the texture or the mesh?

What is the purpose of blender units? Does resizing the mesh after applying a UV map vs before applying one cause blurriness also? Does blender automatically scale the texture and UV map if I change the size of the mesh?