Textures/Materials not working on mesh

So I’m extremely new to Blender, and I tried to make a very simple mesh to try textures on. This simple mesh would be a piece in my Unity game. However, although the model exports and imports into Unity perfectly, the textures will not even work in Blender. I even tried a material, no luck.

If possible, please give responses and solutions in semi-layman terms.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

test.blend (474 KB)

You haven’t added textures. What you have done so far is view an image and preview its placement on the model but to actually use it you have to add a material, and add a material assigned texture to it, which influences material properties.

Textured viewport shading mode shows the UV assigned images from the UV/Image editor by default. Material shading mode shows the material assigned image textures.

http://getblended.org/screens/materialuvtex.jpg (you don’t have to set the viewport settings from that if you use material shading mode instead).

Textures weren’t packed in the .blend. Link in my signature takes to instructions on how to do that.

Yes, I know that the textures weren’t packed in the .blend. I was simply testing if the material would show up on every face, which it doesn’t. Anything concerning that?

WAIT
IT’S JUST NOT ILLUMINATED PROPERLY
I THINK
thanks for the help

You have geometry issues on that mesh. This, for example, is one polygon, “folding in” on itself:

Clean up your geometry and everything will work as expected:

I managed to make it work after importing it into Unity, thanks for all the help!