Texturing different parts of the same object

Hello-
I have an extremely complex model that I now have to texture. However, it is all one object, and its several parts require several different textures.
So, how do I apply different textures to different parts of the same object? Do I have the break up the object somehow first?

Thanks,
CaptainBlender

If it was me I’d break up the model into separate parts and texture / color them separately. It’s not only easier but it makes modeling the separate parts easier also. Just a thought.

Hello-
Can you explain how I can break up a model? Sorry, I’m a complete blender newbie.
Thanks.

You’ve a couple of options, you can and should break the model up into objects i.e wheels of a car seperate from bodywork. Then with regards to textures you can texture faces individually by creating a new material. (Select your face go to edit buttons “F9” , click new material in the links and materials tab then play with as per normal textures.)
Could UV unmap and texture externally in a program like gimp. Search a tutorial.
Could try the projection paint feature which I havn’t messed with yet but looks freakin awesome.
Hope that helped.

Also you can combine materials based on grayscale mapping ( or even RGB mapping ). One way to do that is explained in a tutorial which can be linked to from my sig.

(Select your face go to edit buttons “F9” , click new material in the links and materials tab then play with as per normal textures.)

Sorry, I tried to do that and it didn’t really work.
Basically, here’s my problem. I imported a .obj file from another program. The file loads successfully into blender, except the model is totally green, and it is a single object.
Unfortunately, the model is an entire CITY.(lol)
However, I could easily texture each part of the city if I knew how. For example, I could select the vertices that make up a door of a building and apply a brown color.

How would I go about doing this?

Also: Right now the object isn’t really taking any new color. I tried making the whole object red, and it stayed green…

My bad I forgot to say hit assign before doing textures.

Ok, it worked!
Thanks for your help!

select the parts u want to seperate in edit mode and press p it instantly becomes a seperate object,the part u selected.