texturing

I was wondering if you have a color image and use it for ‘Nor’ to get a ‘bump-like’ appearance in the final image; will you get as good a result as that if you create a seperate gray-scale image for ‘Nor’?

I’ve tried it the first way and the image still looks ‘flat’. This should create a raised look in the final image right? What would/could cause the result to look as though it is still flat even though I’ve set ‘Nor’ on in the texturing mode and bumped the slider up also?

(I ask this because some times using a color image for nor will produce a very noticeable result and some times seems to have no effect, just trying to figure out why).

nor works on light/dark contrast to bump areas up or down, so instead of making a grayscale image, you can just add a new image texture and play with the contrast/brightness settings…

though i would create a grayscale image and play with curves/levels in photoshop for a more controlled result =P

Thanks blengine for the help.

That’s probably the reason.

You’re the best
:smiley:

I favor using grayscale variations of the original image for bump, specular,
and hardness mapping. High resolution textures also help. I prefer Gimp over Photoshop (no flaming please). You can decompose the image in several ways and use the value of the image as a spec map…many different ways to approach texturing methods. Experiment with the rest of us.

Why would anyone flame at you for using Gimp? In contrast, one COULD flame at someone using Photoshop instead, because he spends a lot of money for a program that does only exist on Windoze :slight_smile: