The 10 Cubes of December 2023 - intro and rules

It seems that blender is losing more and more of its limitations, but sometimes having limitations can push creativity. so let’s take it back a step or two. try modeling an object, any object using just cubes. some ground rules might help to further limit you:*

10 RULES FOR 10 CUBES

1. Use only 10 cuboids.**
  2. You can move them around any way you’d like
  3. You can rotate them around any way you’d like
  4. You can scale them any way you’d like - just keep the corners square.
  5. The ground plane is free (if you need one)
  6. Keep the lighting and materials simple
  7. All 10 cubes must have the same material
  8. Modeling and composition must be the focal point of the project
  9. Post your entries in the 10 Cubes Challenge 2023 category; on social media please use the #BA10cubes hashtag.
  10. Have fun! Be creative! Make art!

Of these rules, #10 is the most important, followed by #1. The goal is to be inspired, even (or especially) if you need to bend the rules.

We will be posting 10 prompts throughout the month to add another layer of limitation/inspiration. Create your own topic for each prompt - but feel free to post as many pieces in that topic as you want! Here is the current prompt:

If you are still confused, or just want to see some really cool art - check out the original thread that was the inspiration for this challenge:*** https://blenderartists.org/t/cube-modeling-challenge-voting-open-see-page-30/

In case you missed it last year, check out all of the amazing submissions: https://blenderartists.org/c/contests/10-cubes-challenge-2022/70

* This introduction is taken verbatim from the original post, over 15 years ago. Take a moment to consider all of the limitations that have been lifted over the past 15 years.

** A cuboid is a rectangular prism, that is a 3d shape with all 90° corners. a cube is a subset of cuboids where the width, depth, and height of the shape are all the same. the “10 cubes challenge” is technically a misnomer, but “10 cuboids challenge” doesn’t quite have the same ring.

*** Notice how many submissions are missing, lost forever to the imageshack hole. The internet is different now, and hosting an image is no longer as much of a hassle as it was 15 years ago. Take a moment to consider all of the art that has been lost over the millennia. It’s easier to lose art than you’d think.

11 Likes

This makes me happy :smiley:

1 Like

Hmm… about

wasn’t there something about using some different colored simple material is okay ?? Like the “example” in the other thread ( Raider of… Indy looking at…) ??

1 Like

Rules are meant to be bent. If it’s an impediment to your creativity, then don’t sweat it. The goal is to make art.

Just try to stick to rule #1 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Okidoki - Even though your question has been answered, I just wanted to point out something - the little bit following the rules

So the most important rules are:
10 - Have fun! Be creative! Make art!
1 - Use only 10 cuboids.
And the others can be bent a little… If I didn’t bend rule #7 - All 10 cubes must have the same material - I don’t think anyone would have known what that example image was in the other thread

It would be different if we were competing for prizes/money, then the rules would have to be strictly enforced.

I view this as more of a ‘jam session’ than a contest. It’s not like a largely popular TV singing competition, it’s people getting together and doing what they love and sharing it with each other.

I hope you will join us this time around, and I hope you bend a few rules along the way!

@SterlingRoth - I was stunned to see that you put that image of mine up as an example. Thank you, that’s very flattering!

I am in this again, and again, I am bending the rules. My hero will have a blue suit with a red cape…

Randy

1 Like

Ohh yes… :thinking: if… i only could decide now… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s back!! This was fun last year - I can’t wait to see what people do this time round!

5 Likes

Awesome! I’m definitely joining this year :+1:

3 Likes

Okay…since it was edited… what’s about :

we’ll get them moved once the infrastructure is dialed in

or should we simple re-post ?? But then…trying to add a new post ( because i have choosen my next heroes ) to…

it tells me to select a subcategory… ?? :

…and i’m somekind of used to this site for a while now :wink:

Hmm, I checked and the category settings should be ok. Perhaps you need to reload the page?

And I’ve taken care of moving existing topics into the new category, just let me know if I missed one.

2 Likes

Ahh yes… seems to work now…

2 Likes

Yay, it’s back! I had fun with it last year. Maybe it’s gonna get me out of the no-energy hole this year.

Thanks for doing this!

3 Likes

Hmm… well… that’s an rectangular cuboid

…so i guess with some bending ( ← pun intended :wink: )… we are back at rule #10 and #1 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Q: So this is the smart arse association then ?
A: …hhmm technically speaking we are just a club…

2 Likes

Quick tip for those who want to follow new submissions closely: you can set the notification preferences for this forum category by going to category page, clicking the bell icon and selecting ‘Watching First Post’. You’ll now get a notification every time someone creates a new topic (but not for every reply to a topic).

5 Likes

Extrudes Counts as Cuboids ?

Welcome :tada:

Just my thoughts…
…why would someone extrude a “rectangular” cuboid… moveing a face along normal will do… except if someone do rotate or tapper the extrusion… then this are two connected cuboids…

ok thank you.

Generally, don’t go into edit mode. Just scale, rotate or move the cubes in object mode and you’ll be good :+1:

2 Likes