The Asylum - My graduation film

Great Short Animation!
Igor looks like Quasimodo a little!
I like the Textures on the Voltage Panels!
Great Shadows and dark horror Ambient and Music!
also the Story is Great and very good Animatic!
In the end you see the hand comes out…so this means he is a life…so the story continious or not???
you can make a Trilogy…3 Shorts of 5 minutes “Asylum”!

Welcome to the gallery. You deserve it.

BgDM

Oh cool, I didn’t see the post was moved :smiley:
Thanx

Wow! Love the look of it. The charactors don’t need to talk - it’s clear enough what they’re saying. Give that musision some prase as well - the score really brings it together. One small crit - where igor brings down the bed on the anti-francanstien’s foot it’s not to clear that that’s what he does.

btw - what does imo mean?

has a lot of german expressionism to it, i.e. nosferatu, der golem, etc… you did this all by yourself? what an insane amount of work. how long have you been working on it?

some of your textures really pop in black and white, I loved the electric brushed-metal box at the beginning, the way you deformed it. great work.

Hey MadMesh, it’s a really cool anim! You can easily win with this one at the bconf ;). You made it at the university of eindhoven?(Dutch too here). I agree at the eyes thing where he tries to cast shadow on his eyes. But I understand your reason ;). I like the body movements, you can see them breathing etc. But I think the ‘patient’ face looked too static. The rest was super, top job! Hope to see you at the bconf.
BackiZ

My paper on the project covered German expressionism, I’m glad it shows :slight_smile: I started on the project in February 2006 and finished it on August 15. The first two months were concepts and storyboards, the rest production. Only the music score was done by another student, the rest is my blood swaet and tears :D.

I graduated at the HKU (Hogeschool voor de Kunsten Utrecht). The role of the patient in the film was minor to the Professor and Igor so he had less shape keys and a simpler rig, I had to cut corners :rolleyes: i know.

A lot of people have a problem with that part, its a scene that got changed a lot in the film. The idea is that Igor sabotages the chair by overloading it, he turns up the voltage. Then when the lightning strikes, the lab explodes. On the second strike the tower colapses when the Professer runs up. I agree it’s confusing, the concept of sabotage in the scene isn’t clear enough.

omg that was amazing. 2 thumbs up, although I saw some minor problems this was a great vid. I am liking it.

Good esthetism with the ambiant and B&W, great short!

Very cool 4**** from me -

Inspiring work.

Well done.

Amazing stuff, plays smoothly on MPlayer Ubuntu.

The sabotage stuff was lost on me, I assumed Igor had squashed the Doctor’s foot - it makes sense in retrospect.

Truly Awesome Stuff!!!
Loved it, and congrats on the graduation!

great! i love the black/white-style

Hm, I never experienced any jerkyness… I loved this film! Bravo… something I hope to accomplish one day.

How long did it take you to render this film? And how long have you been working with blender?

Great Job!

The whole project took me 7 to 8 months to complete, about 2 months concept work; storyboards, script and concept art. The rest was production work. I’m not sure how long the rendering took al together but most frames 1024 X 576 rendered in 2 minutes. Almost al the renderings were done on one PC, my own.

I started with Blender 1.65 in 1999 I think. I have been using Blender professionally up untill version 2.25 just about when it went Open Source. From that point on I used Maya a lot. When Elephants Dream came out and al the new features from project Orange were implemented I started using Blender again.

MadMesh

One thing I did notice… When igor sheilds his eyes away from the ray of light, the shadow hit no where near his eyes making the sheilding motion absolutely useless to him.

Yeah I noticed that too, the shadow is on his mouth…

So did I. Congratulations on a job well done

JCTiger