The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

1:20 ah-ehm… :rofl:

I have a feeling the Grab brush should be renamed to Move brush and Elastic Deform to Grab or Elastic Grab since it has Grab deformations, but is it too much?.

This is part of Zbrush’s architecture and the limitation requires a standalone plugin as a workaround - see Zscenemanager(Maxine plugin) Noisemaker, Polygroupit, Zwrap… I agree, though, if this limitation weren’t there we would probably be seeing some insane 3rd-party ZB plugins.

First rule of Zbrush Club - ALWAYS spend at least a day creating your own custom UI and floating hotkeyed menus… :wink:

Snapshot3D

Not enough experience using Dyntopo, but based on performance alone and simply because Zbrush has the brushes it does, I don’t see it.

THIS I would love to see in ZB.

Again, this is based on ZB architecture. N-gons are illegal and cannot be created(ZB will automatically create triangles) This is why Zmodeler is a box-modeler and is designed to work with a mesh with thickness - no edge extrusions allowed. Personally I love Zmodeler because it fits perfectly into the ZB ecosystem of tools - which is the true power of the program as everything is designed to work together as a system and I have always believed that not many users can see this potential as they see the tools as individual rather than a part of this system.

If by ‘legacy tools and workflow’ you mean at the forefront of many sectors of the industry and tools/workflows that every single game/VFX/collectables/film studio in the world uses… :grin:

If you look at artists like Grassetti, Pavlovich, Keos Mason, Cki Vang, Tadeschi, Costa, Ben Erdt…etc… and many, many more of the best artists in the world have either long since switched to ZB exclusively, or for 80% of their work. Granted, a lot of them are working on concepting or will jump into a trad DCC for production retopology, but ZB is the hub of more and more artists and studios for its ridiculous power, flexibility, and the ecosystem-driven workflows I mentioned above. Also, many of these artists are hardcore beta testers and have been for years. 2 years ago Paul Gaboury invited me to participate in the Zsummit hard-surface sculpt-off challenge. Sadly, I couldn’t attend, but I asked him if he could bump my spot on the ZB beta tester list instead :wink: (yes there is a waiting list) and he said it wouldn’t be possible as it was so strictly moderated and he had no say in it. I use this as an example of just what we’re dealing with in terms of ZB’s beta testing team. It’s a who’s who of industry pros and a real boon to its development.

I know you’re really enjoying Blender’s sculpt mode, but it is a child’s toy compared to Zbrush, at this stage. :smiley:

6 Likes

?

Don’t see what’s so funny about that part.

Based Physical Renderer renderer? :smile:

But yeah, I agree. Pixologic could really do a lot to improve the overall experience of the program. Also, Blender has a bunch of advantages that ZBrush just doesn’t have as you said. Is Blender overall better than ZBrush for sculpting? No, but I could definitely see some people jump onboard after 2.81 launches, since it can produce some high quality stuff at a reasonable pace now. Even if you can’t replace ZBrush with Blender sculpting, I would still consider picking up the program and jump between softwares to deal with stuff each software does best.

I am however more excited for the patches after 2.81, since most of the stuff in 2.81 we’ve already seen long before 2.81 development even began. Can’t wait till the 10th. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You barked.

1 Like

Also remember 3dcoat sculpting.

3 Likes

Aha. I had just come home from eating pizza and drinking Coke when making that video. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Never used that actually. How good is it, since you seem familiar with it?

Are you people compiling these new Sculpt builds or they’re being uploaded to some place other than Graphic-All? It’s been some time since the last sculpt build was posted there.

I’m using the current master branch—same builds you can get off builder.blender.org

1 Like

I mean, Pablo’s commits are being pushed to master lighting fast, but I’d love to get those sooner. These improvements bring tears to my eyes.

2 Likes

Not sure which features you mean. Most stuff he is committing to master after it goes through code-review. It doesn’t look like he has committed anything to his sculpt branch in a month.

2 Likes

Only one day? I would say weeks of constant tinkering if you want something a bit more user friendly. :stuck_out_tongue:

ZModeler is cool and all, but it is no replacement for a proper modelling program. It could be done a lot more efficiently if they redesigned the UI and allowed for more standard practices for modelling. Same could be said about its retopology tools. As much as I give Blender flack for having a fairly primitive retopology workflow, it is still a lot better than ZBrush’s.

Just because it is an industry standard doesn’t mean there aren’t antiquated and outdated parts about it that could use a facelift. Take the whole save/export/import/load tool/save as deal, for instance. Even at the time when ZBrush was new this system did not make any sense. The buttons are literally all over the place if you take the add-ons into account.

Then there’s the issue of just basic project start-up to start sculpting on a mesh primitive. Unless you already know how ZBrush works, you will not be able to figure this stuff out on the fly. Since you seem like a veteran of ZBrush, do you know anyone who uses 2.5D painting mode to sculpt? Why is this the default mode when the vast majority uses primitives and other tools to do 3D sculpts?

This explains a lot why the UI is the way it is. If only the pro veterans are allowed in to do Beta feedback who already knows the software, then there’s no wonder why so little progress has been made in this area. Not saying that the pros shouldn’t have their voices heard, since that’s what has kept ZBrush as the top dog. However, if that’s the only perspective they take into account, then we get situations like ZBrush’s UI.

Depends on what kind of work you’re planning to do. If you’re making highly detailed multi million poly sculpts, then yes, Blender is still more of a toy. A useful toy, but a toy nonetheless. If you want to do something more stylised, then Blender is more than enough. Why bring a whole toolbox to hammer in a nail when you just need a hammer? :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Wow, I wasn’t aware of that! I’ll follow your suggestion then, thx!

1 Like

This page gets updated with the latest build a couple of times a day, which you can find under Sneak Peek. It’s not the fastest way to get the changes, but it’s a reliable way of getting everything that has been committed.

Hey Sculpt Corps ™, thought this would be a good place to (re)post this, as most of the sculptors hang out in here.

One essential sculpting workflow for me is adjusting the Brush Size/Strength using a single hotkey (preferably RMB). I can’t scuclpt without it.
Used to love that in Silo back in the days (RIP), 3DCoat’s had it from the early days, Sculptris had a neat implementation as well.

Anyway, there is a script for blender that enables this functionality. It’s in the Released Scripts and Themes section of the forum, but it’s buried and I’d imagine most people are unaware of it.

I’d strongly advise trying it out for a couple of hours! Never know what it might do for your workflow.

Sculpt/Paint Workflow Suite
It’s the Brush Quickset script!

9 Likes

There’s some handy stuff in there, thank’s for the heads up! :ok_hand:

2 Likes

I have some good news about MultiRes. Apparently Pablo will enable it in the sculpt API at some point so issues like these will no longer happen (a bug report I made):

https://developer.blender.org/T69956

Edit: My bug report has been raised to Medium alert! :slight_smile:

8 Likes

https://developer.blender.org/D5949

Dashed lines brushes. :slight_smile:

9 Likes